Author Topic: Probation period passed!  (Read 3574 times)

waterlooroader

• Not So New ...
Probation period passed!
« on: October 15, 2012, 16:40:38 »
3 moths ago I took on an allotment on the Wolverhampton / Dudley border, working the land with a mate of mine. Yesterday we got the news that we had passed the 3 month probation period! 

As with most plots, when we took it over it was overgrown with all sorts of lovely things like couch grass, bind weed etc. However we have managed to clear the plot down (Without spraying, just a lot of elbow grease!) and have turned the soil over and composted around 2/3rds of the land, the rest being covered by ground-sheet and old carpet at the moment. We have also set a couple of paths (Slabs)  and put a shed up. Currently we have some spring cabbage under the netting and I will be planting some garlic in the next few weeks.

Whilst I understand that some sites are reluctant to enforce probation periods, I see them as a neccessary evil. Even as we were clearing our site, we recieved numerous coments from neighbours that "It is good to see young lads working the land " (I am 27, my mate is 28) and "We have seen it in the past where new tennants have sprayed the plot, dug once, found out it is hard work and then we haven't seen them again!"

Now I am just looking forward to next year!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Probation period passed!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 17:46:57 »
Welcome to A4A.  Great to hear you are getting things sorted.  It is nice to hear of young people enjoying an allotement. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 18:20:51 »
You wouldn't believe the attitude of some newbies.  While we are willing to help and guide them a bit they seem to think that once they have got off the waiting list then the hard work is done and they do nothing for months until we send them a letter (informally)..Even then they dont seem to realise that a condition of having a plot is that it is cultivated.
I can tell you that you chaps are probably in the minority - we would love to have more people like you on our site!! 

And looking forward to next year is the reson most of us love our plots.  If I had a pound for everytime someone said "Well there is always next year" I could buy a farm!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 19:12:43 »
I've been told there are 6 plots on our site becoming vacant where peeps have took them on and as said, think the hard works done and nothing for months on end and looking at some of the other plots there will be more to follow. Good luck with the plot lads and if your anywhere the W&D Brewery then get hold of some of their spent hops for your plot.     :blob7:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

waterlooroader

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 22:47:43 »
"Welcome to A4A.  Great to hear you are getting things sorted.  It is nice to hear of young people enjoying an allotement."

Thanks Digeroo. One of our neighbours is a spritely 76 year old and jokes that we are good for the average age of the site! My mate is really enjoying it as he lives in a flat and doesn't have a garden, I am enjoying it as I work in full-time in an office job so I love the contrast of outdoor toil.

"I can tell you that you chaps are probably in the minority - we would love to have more people like you on our site!!"

Thanks Nick. I don't know if it is a symptom of the attitudes of many at the moment (The desire for instant gratification, lack of patience etc) Some of the comments I have recieved from non-gardening friends have been interesting! "Do you have to go each week?" (Erm, yes...) I have some experience from growing in my garden: (Potatoes, peas, beans etc) and  my father-in-law has an allotment up in Ellesmere Port but we are both keen to learn more (Luckilly the father-in-law and neighbours on site have been quick to provide advice!)

"I've been told there are 6 plots on our site becoming vacant where peeps have took them on and as said, think the hard works done and nothing for months on end and looking at some of the other plots there will be more to follow. Good luck with the plot lads and if your anywhere the W&D Brewery then get hold of some of their spent hops for your plot."

Cheers Nick. I have read through some of the stories on this forum of actions members have seen new plot holders take and I realise I am not as clueless as I feared! Stories of people using a rotovator on a plot covered in weeds just seems completely absurd (Shreding couch grass into 100s of pieces and turning it into the soil: How is that going to look in 2/3 years time?) As I say we took the plot on 3 months ago, so while it was too late to plant for the main harvest season, it was useful in that we could concerntate on clearing the ground properly, levelling and composting as well as infrastructure like the shed, slabs and water; now we can concerntrate on a few spring harvest crops. The Bath Road Brewery is about 2 miles away from my house! I will have a word the next time I am in town...

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 22:49:25 by waterlooroader »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 22:53:42 »
About 2 out of every 5 newbies fall by the wayside within the 3 month probation period on our site.  I see them to sign the contract and hand the gate key over then next time they are seen is at the end of the probation period returning the key for their deposit back.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal