Author Topic: Wood shavings on the compost heap  (Read 2084 times)

peterb43

Wood shavings on the compost heap
« on: October 12, 2012, 16:10:39 »
Hi, does anyone know if it's a good idea to put oak wood shavings on the allotment compost heap ? . I am doing a little job in my workshop ( when it's raining ) and find that I have created a lot of shavings and seems a waste to take them to the tip

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Wood shavings on the compost heap
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 16:17:54 »
Personally I'm all in favour.  They make an excellent soil conditioner.  The disadvantages are that they take a long time to rot, and are said to fix some of the nitrogen in the compost, lowering the N in the NPK balance.

An alternative is to pass them on to a poultry keeper for his or her chicken run, perhaps getting some of them back well mixed with chicken poo, in which state they're ideal for the heap!

ETA: Oh, and welcome to Allotments4All, by the way.  I've just noticed that this is your first post!  :sunny:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 17:15:44 »
Welcome to 4AA.

Use them to smoke some food. 

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 17:25:36 »
I'd put them on - no probs.. It's not as though you have tonnes of it!! If you did have tonnes you'd have to add loads of other green stuff and some nitrates as well..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

clackvalve

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 21:44:10 »
I use wood chippings mixed with grass, make sure that you have a lot more green than brown and make sure that you let it rot down before putting it in the ground.It wont take Nitrogen out of the ground once rotted but may well do it you put it on to the soil direct without giving it time to compost
 If you do not want to do that you could always put them down as paths

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 08:38:36 »
We get wood chips delivered to the allotments so that everyone can help themselves. This has been in a pile for a few years as new material gets added to the top. Underneath it is brown rather like peat. I have added this stuff to the compost bins and it seems O.K.

I also use shredded newspaper and cardboard.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:24:52 »
Welcome to A4A Peter.

If you have a considerable amount of wood waste I'd think about making a separate heap just for wood waste because it doesn't break down in the same way as compost, I have a feeling it's quite a different set of fungi that break down wood, in the same way that you'd make leaf mould separately from compost.  I think I'm right in saying that compost is broken down mainly by bacteria which work best in a warm heap, but it's wood-eating fungi that you want to work on chippings and shavings, and they need it cool and damp.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 17:53:48 »
I'd put the odd handful in but not too much as said a seperate pile or under any fruit bushes you may have.  :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal