Author Topic: Bl***dy Vandals !!  (Read 9574 times)

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
Bl***dy Vandals !!
« on: March 03, 2005, 19:24:32 »
My brand new chook house on the allotment was broken into last night ! They tried to get into the main shed by crowbaring the lock, then tried the run (for some obscure reason) and when they couldn't get in they attacked the shed by breaking boards off and smashing the windows.

Then they turned their attention to the new run, which was unlocked as the birds weren't yet allowed out into it. They cut the lock off the shed (which was only erected on Monday) and threw their feeders at my 9 week old light sussex babies and then smashed the window. The poor things had only been moved in the day before, so they had a baptism of fire !

The little gits (I'm sure it was teenagers) broke into more than a dozen sheds, tearing the doors off at least one of them, and as far as I'm aware didn't steal anything at all. There was a rotovator and a mountain bike stored in the next shed to mine, and they weren't touched. It was just sheer wanton vandalism, but why do they do it ? It was a bl**dy freezing cold night with driving rain and sleet, and they've gone out with a crowbar and bolt croppers, just to cause damage.

The only amazing thing is that they didn't harm my babies, although they were a bit traumatised. Three years ago somebody's birds were all used as footballs. My heart sank when I saw the padlock off, and I was afraid of what I would see, but the strange thing is they had torn a door off a shed and stuck it against my run door so the birds couldn't escape. Maybe they saw that they are babies and had a guilty conscience.

This is the one thing that worried me about chooks on the allotment - two legged predators. I'm trying to live the "Good Life" with self-sufficiency - I'd love to have the nice smalholding with an acre or two but can't afford it. The three allotments are supposed to be my substitute, but this is very very demoralising. 

According to the field secretary it happens fairly regularly, always the same pattern - vandalism but no theft. It's like they are making the statement "We can get your stuff any time we want to". 

Mike   :'(
They call it the "Good Life" but it's a b****y HARD life!

Derek

• Acre
Re: Bl***dy Vandals !!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 20:28:49 »
Mike

I feel truly sorry for you having posted an item recently about vandals.
You must report any event such as this however trivial (yours can hardly be described as trivial) to the Police...they will give you an obligatory 'incident number'

The most important thing is to report every crime to build up the statistics..three visits to our plot.. twentysix separate incidents logged doesn't make the Police crime figures look too good..we are getting more attention/help from them now.

Keep your chin up and don't let these 'people of doubtful parentage' get you down

Best wishes
Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 21:01:02 »
Its bad but there are steps you can take. We ALWAYS report incidents to the police and get a crime number from them. We invited the local community pc to our annual general meeting. It gave people a chance to let off steam and he also gave us some good advice about security, shed alarms etc. We let him have a key to our site so he could walk round now and then.

If you can build links with local schools that also helps because kids can come and see what growing food is all about.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 23:05:56 »
Oh Mike, what a terrible night for your plot, and your babies!  I despair, I really do.  I do not understand what goes through these peoples heads when they are destroying other peoples property.  So glad your chooks are okay Mike.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 23:58:01 »
It really sickens me to hear things like this, I live in awe of vandals just devastating my plot or shed, but pets and wildlife tears at my gut. You have my sympathy, so sorry to hear this.

Roy

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 09:35:12 »
Dear Mike,
I'm so sorry - this is really devastating. Not just the damage and the upset, but the thought that human beings exist who would do such a thing. What sort of people are they? Why don't they care? It really is frightening.

Thinking of you,
Sarah

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 12:13:38 »
Can't add anything to all that.

newchangeling

• Quarter Acre
  • No picture, no slogan, no imagination!?
    • Pumpkin Soup
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 12:39:32 »
It sounds really horrible, Mike, and I'm not surprised it's left you feeling angry and upset.  It seems to go with the territory a bit - so many people here have had similar experiences.  Little consolation, I know, when you're faced with the mess of such wanton destructiveness.

I think the advice about reporting every last incident is really important, even if it feels futile at first.  If the police start to get a picture that this is happening a lot then they're much more inclined to take more action.

Take care of yourself.  I hope you feel more hopeful soon.

Clare
Anyone for Pumpkin Soup?

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 13:17:35 »
So, so sorry to hear this Mike,

i think the others have said it all, but I hope things improve for you.

Dawn
Dawn

fosteri

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 15:16:31 »
That's awful Mike, I wonder how they'd feel if someone trashed their stuff....

Hope things get sorted soon for you.

Louisa xx

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 15:25:46 »
Mike thats horrible! Its a small comfort they acrually protected your babies.  Report everythiing!  Good luck.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 15:57:04 »
Little s*ds. The reason we were given for them not stealing anything, is that they can't get caught with it, vandalism isn't something you can prove unless you catch them red-handed.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 16:29:27 »
I am so sorry for you. What disgusting little twerps these vandals are. Releaved that your chooks are alright.

Heldi x

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 19:10:40 »
cannot add anything to above, just wanted to put my sympathies in too. makes my blood boil. breathed a sigh of relief when i read your chickens were unscathed.

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 19:22:12 »
Thanks for all your kind wishes and advice. The Old Bill didn't really want to know, all I got to talk to was a civilian oik in the operations room, although their "Crime Prevention" officer has apparently been trying to get me all day today - no doubt to tell me how to spend loads of money on converting the place to fortress Chook City. I've already got a 6 ft steel fence round it - maybe I need the moat too !

I've taken a look at all the doors they *didn't* manage to get through, and they are all fitted with coach bolts through the hasp and staple into the door and the frame, plus through the hinges too - a point many people miss. You can have a wonderful bombproof padlock, but it's only as strong as the hasp and the hinges. I guess I have to board the windows, can't really see a secure way round it, it's a shame though cos I wanted to let some light in ! I may try a secure grille over clear plastic sheeting, although that wouldn't be very weatherproof.

The b******'s won't grind me down though. I took the rest of the youngsters over there today, and all of them were scampering around together in the run, their first taste of the great outdoors - 18 of them together was so lovely to watch. Shame it was so bl***dy cold though !

Mike

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 20:37:23 »
Razor wire, CCTV, electrify the fence, alarms, auto dye sprays .............but with no one to answer the alarms, no power or mains water, & being illegal............??

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 21:55:29 »

I guess it's gonna have to be the voodoo dolls and sticking pins in them then  ;D

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 23:39:03 »
MikeĀ  :)

Can only echo the same sentiments and add my Sorry's!!

Maybe you should setĀ  Hagrid on the " Little Bugs"
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 23:40:47 by TULIP-23 »
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 09:45:02 »
:'(
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 20:26:04 by GREENWIZARD »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2005, 19:29:53 »
I sympathise with you as I've suffered from yob attacks on my plot but on a slightly different tack..last Sunday night I watched a yob smash 2 windows on my neighbour's car, I recognised him told my neighbour and phoned the police...4 days later the local beat bobby turns up and tells me that nothing can be done unless there are 2 independant witnesses, very annoying for me because when my car was trashed a year ago there were at least 7 witnesses and nothing was done...I even photographed youngsters breaking into a neighbours house and the police didn't want to see the photographs! its all to do with figures and league tables, bring back the old-time coppers who had their own "special" ways of dealing with vandals.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal