Author Topic: strawberry bed  (Read 1964 times)

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
strawberry bed
« on: October 11, 2012, 16:56:01 »
hi my strawberry bed just does not produce so for next year, winter project I want to raise and construct some type of bed/ V shape up at waist height rectangle is okay but thinking of long length or length's V shape. Anyone done anything like this before and if so can you tell please and hint on construction.
willie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: strawberry bed
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 17:35:49 »
A frame like this is the answer!

As you will note they are not being used for strawberry growing at the moment!

The boards and bricks and canes, would be removed, but as you see it makes for a handy table and storage racks when not growing strawberries!

In spring two proper growbags ( not those cheap wafer thin one) will be placed on the frame then planted up!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 18:39:35 »
Why does it not produce - are the plants getting old now? You could move the bed to a different spot.. You will need loads of frames... I think its just easier to use the ground and would look at the reason why they are not producing..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 19:50:12 »
Hold old are your strawberry's ? after 3yrs they need replacing withnew runners,but if they aren't that old cut them right back and give them a really good feed i use liquid sheep's manure they might just be exhausted hope that helps.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 21:03:34 »
I to think its either your soil lack of nutrients or your strawbery plants past their grow by date.
There is an advantage of using raised beds for strawberies like TeeGee uses, you can move them to where you want them and as they dont take that much light and sun away you can grow short crops under them.
A lorra lorra years ago i had some like Tee Gee,s but instead of having a top on i put taut chicken wire inside the V and lined it with carpet then put the soil inside that. If i was to make them again i would use an alternative to carpet (thick black polythine holed) or just plonk the grow bags inside. Its also easier to put netting over
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:18:50 »
I like this idea keep them up away from slugs and easier to pick.  Had a lot of problems with rotting this year.

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 15:58:05 »
Thanks guys for all the interesting replies specially the pictures about my strawberry problem I could probably improve the ground they been in the last couple of years but up of the ground if I can get the space my intention will be 4 x 8ft right up length of the plot. Good project for over winter.
thanks again : jock_edin :

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal