Author Topic: when to move ferns?  (Read 1411 times)

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
when to move ferns?
« on: October 09, 2012, 12:14:05 »
hi guys,

i need to pick your brains please.

i'm clearing the garden a bit at a time and need to move some quite big ferns, they're tight against a hedge and look like theyre struggling for space.

i planted a wee plum tree last year too, but put it too far in a corner....now we've managed to fence the garden, it needs to come out a bit. i think i remember being told it's ok to move a tree as long as the month has an 'r' in it, but i'm not quite sure.

i'd be grateful for any advice.......i'd be even more grateful if someone would come and dig a bit for me  :laughing7:

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: when to move ferns?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 12:52:21 »
Once you plum drop its leaves =goes into 'rest' mode, thats ideal time to start thinking of moving it and you can do this job at your pleasure as long as the ground conditions allow the digging and replanting. Once the new growth start in spring its bit 'late'...so you've got all winter.
...and same apply to the ferns. Not all ferns go 'bare' some are evergreen but even those go bit 'rough' and digging up them when they are not looking their best and same time tidying up those 'not so good looking leaves'.

So..you can start doing the big jobs any time soon.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 13:17:51 »
thanks goodlife, i'm really enjoying having a garden again. i think ive forgotten just about everything i ever learned though. i'll be here often. thanks again.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:23:41 »
My personal favourite month for moving or planting fruit trees is November.  The tree is properly dormant, and the roots have a chance to settle over the winter before the new growth starts.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal