Author Topic: LIDL greenhouses  (Read 21260 times)

lewis

• Not So New ...
LIDL greenhouses
« on: March 03, 2005, 18:41:53 »
Saw these two greenhouses for sale on the LIDL site. Don't know which one to choose. Any help in deciding would be appreciated. Click on to Current Specials for details. Many thanks.

www.lidl.co.uk

« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 18:44:56 by lewis »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: LIDL greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 18:49:52 »
I guess the main consideration is what do you want to grow in them?  I would personally go for the larger of the 2, only because I have a standard-ish greenhouse, and still never have enough room!  However, if space is tight, then the smaller may well be practical, mind you, I would say that was more of a coldframe than a greenhouse.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 18:50:42 »
well, no help from me :D
but i preferred the look of the taller one (rounded roof thingy).
just off to lidl now, to see if they have a hoe and some cloches/tunnels left (and for some other bits and bobs)

i hope the gardening stuff hasn't been popular round here ;)

svea

PS: more garden stuff on monday - wheeeeeeeee
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Phin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 19:44:24 »
Silvia (my wife) wrestled with the hordes at lidl this morning for a cloche and mini green house. The mini green house looks good for a few tomatoes and chilli's although its not what you could call big. It's pretty well made though - and for 13 quid you could always buy two!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 20:43:19 »
Try Morrison!!!

They're selling good sized greenhouses for £20!!!!!

I've got one in my backyard ready to set up when the snow has finished melting

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 21:28:42 »
lewis

I ended up buying both plus some polytunnels  and the cloche  - one of the greenhouses seems to look more like a  cold frame to me although have not unpacked it yet.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 21:30:50 »
Liked both greenhouses but it's a tad windy for lightweight tackle in these parts.  Dig those clogs though  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 22:40:41 »
I think you get what you pay for, :D  for £13 its great,  ;) I bought a taller plastic greenhouse of similar dimention and it was rubbish especially in high winds, :o  it could blow away all your prize seedlings and sweats more than the real thing. :o and it causes mould (yuck never again). :'(

You can't beat the real thing, I agree with Emma it looks like a cold frame, and I think it will sweat more than a real greenhouse. ??? ::)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 07:10:04 »
Ashamed to say that I was also with the hordes yesterday at Lidl. :-[ Couldn't resist the smaller greenhouse which I plan to use as a coldframe.  Got 3 cloches and 3 replacement covers,a pair of gardening clogs(wish now I had got 2 pairs one for home and one for lotty) Also got some shears, some knee pads, a few perennials and some seeds.  ;D I am a happy bunny.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 08:10:53 »
i went yesterday evening fearing that it would all be gone - plenty of stock left and an emtpy shop without queues to boot. came away with tunnel, covers, a hoe, secateurs, and those clogs which i reckon are more for warmer weather use ???

carrie, if you are reading this, get yourself down to the lidl at the old kent road today. :)

yes, they had seeds too, dont know how much they were - i am all seeded up for this year. i only have a 1/4 plot :-\

svea

Phin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 08:26:38 »
Did any fellow Lidl shoppers notice the 1 x 5m  polytunnel had hundreds of little holes cut in it rather than being a solid sheet? Does this make it less useful for warming the soil? I was expecting a solid sheet of plastic.

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 08:28:16 »
yes i noticed.
i suppose it is more for protection of the crop from strong wind, and birds, whilst allowing ventilation and rain to get through
the replacement sheets which fit are solid though

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 13:09:01 »
The perforated plastic does not really let the rain through but it allows for some ventilation. You'd be amazed how wet it gets inside a politunnel with condensation if you use the stuff without holes. When the plastic from my little tunnel was torn to shreds I had a hard time finding the perforated plastic anywhere, finally found a place and ordered it. My poly tunnel got plenty warm despite the perforations.

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 17:31:21 »
Went to Lidl in Chard today and came out with two cloches{ max allowed per person}, two replacement covers,and a long handled fork!!! what bargains!!!!!

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 17:51:26 »
Thanks Svea - went to the Lidl in Peckham (I was on foot) came out with 5 polytunnels (my sister asked me to get her a couple) I hadn't bargained on how big they were goin to be - it was a very long walk back to the office. I  had to leave so many bargains on the shelf (including clogs)  :'( so I will have to go back when I have the car to see if anything is left  ;D

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 18:22:14 »
Just home from Lidls! Got small greenhouse/coldframe, useful stool/storage box/kneeler, 2 packs of fleece, lovely green clogs - and couldn't resist some seeds!! Managed to keep it down to 2 packets - Salsify @ 29p and a packet of dwarf french beans, Kinghorn Wax, lovely yellow colour on the packet, well worth the 49p I seem to have been charged. Many thanks to everyone for alerting me to this  ;D  ;D  ;D

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 19:12:29 »
went off to nearest lidl- half hour away, only to find no clogs left, only size 10/11. :'(

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 19:13:21 »
Ha ha ha I am glad that there are more nutters out there than me.  Shame that you were limited in your purchase Cookie, no such nonsense up here in North Wales.  ;D Always keep a look out at Lidl this time of the year they have some cracking spring time bargains.  ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 22:30:52 »
went to another branch today-last pair of clogs on the shelf, but only because a lady had brought them back as they didn't fit.
also got some radish seed for 29p and courgette also.
29p!!! how do they do it???
plus 10 metres of fleece for 1.99.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2005, 10:25:11 »
I've never been to Lidl but I'm going to start.  I want some of those clogs  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal