Author Topic: Can you ripen pumpkins?  (Read 1718 times)

mormor

• Half Acre
Can you ripen pumpkins?
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:06:52 »
I have one large-ish green pumpkin. And as we now have night frosts have brought it indoors. BUT is there any way it will change colour indoors? Or can I eat it when green? All advice welcome. 
near Copenhagen, Denmark

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: Can you ripen pumpkins?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:54:49 »
I put mine by the south facing patio window (indoors) and in 2-3 days they ripened well to a bright orange from green.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:38:46 »
You need to leave them in the sun (what sun you may ask) for as lon as possible. Remember to cut the pumpkin off laving a stalk of at least 3" than plonk on a table in the sun or gh or under cover so no frost can get them..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 17:22:38 »
You need to leave them in the sun (what sun you may ask) for as lon as possible. Remember to cut the pumpkin off laving a stalk of at least 3" than plonk on a table in the sun or gh or under cover so no frost can get them..

Agree with Gavin - mine are in the conservatory getting as much sun as possible.  Next month they will come indoors.  Conservatory is frost-free.

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 15:50:15 »
Not all pumpkins turn orange when ripe

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 21:09:15 »
If you aren't confident they will harden and produce seed (the best part - yum) then use them up while they are juicy by grating them into coleslaw instead of carrots.

Really nice varieties (like the onion squashes) can be used 100% (plus mayo). Turks cap is particularly good this way even when ripe as it has some crispness and not too dry.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal