Author Topic: whats this squash ?  (Read 1638 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
whats this squash ?
« on: October 02, 2012, 19:22:21 »
 A fellow Lotty man gave me 2 seeds for a squash plants the he grew in Africa, they grow into green cannon balls ,we don't grow squashes but out of politeness we grew them ,we showed him them he was well pleased with them and we gave him some ,he told us to boil them until they were soft cut in two ,add butter salt and pepper and Cinnamon, he never new the name of them ,dose anyone know them ? Aim rubbish with photos , by the way they tasted like peas i think ?

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: whats this squash ?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 19:29:58 »
A fellow Lotty man gave me 2 seeds for a squash plants the he grew in Africa, they grow into green cannon balls ,we don't grow squashes but out of politeness we grew them ,we showed him them he was well pleased with them and we gave him some ,he told us to boil them until they were soft cut in two ,add butter salt and pepper and Cinnamon, he never new the name of them ,dose anyone know them ? Aim rubbish with photos , by the way they tasted like peas i think ?

Gemsquash... see my blog site which has a link to info on them...   www.gavinconway.net

I'm ex Zimbabwean and grow then all the time here in the uk...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 23:14:07 »
thanks Gavin,that's them and our Lotty pal comes from the same place as you,so he a Zimbabwean also :icon_cheers: the taste was lovely,and we will grow them again ,better than courgettes.thanks again Gavin .

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 23:26:51 »
Would you like more seeds...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 09:03:03 »
Thanks Gavin for your kind offer I wondered if i could save the seed from my own? as Ive got about 15 balls left and i gave lot away you get such a lot of two plants ,would this saving be possible ?

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 10:34:49 »
Yes it will be fine.. just let them mature and get hard - then scrap them out, wash and dry..

FYI.. We cut ours in half before cooking.. then boil for about 10-12 minutes.. then add the butter etc..

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:15:01 »
Thanks Gavin for your kind offer I wondered if i could save the seed from my own? as Ive got about 15 balls left and i gave lot away you get such a lot of two plants ,would this saving be possible ?

Have you got any other squashes growing on your plot as they can cross pollinate with each other (depending of the variety) and although you can still grow those saved seed..outcome from those crosses might not be quite what you wanted.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 11:27:20 »
A fellow Lotty man gave me 2 seeds for a squash plants the he grew in Africa, they grow into green cannon balls ,we don't grow squashes but out of politeness we grew them ,

I guess not goodlife... I did look at that as well..  :wave: :toothy10:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 12:33:35 »
we don't grow squashes but out of politeness
Ah...I missed that bit..though, if their neighbours grow squashes those could pollinate his flowers too.
I always tie squash flowers up and hand pollinate to ensure 'clean' seeds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal