Author Topic: Lips on fire  (Read 3492 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Lips on fire
« on: September 30, 2012, 18:12:58 »
Wearing rubber gloves, I carefully cut open some Naga Morich chillies and removed the seeds to save them for next year.

At no time did my hands actually come into contact with the chillies.

So why, after eating a jam sandwich, are my lips on fire?

(I'd better check on the gloves, they are probably melting)

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Lips on fire
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 18:56:59 »
The hot 'oils' from chillies are capable to work through cloves. I read from somewhere that white latex cloves only last 1/2 hour before they 'give' up and you get the stuff on your hands.
Similar thing did happen to me other year...and it was with Naga Morichs too...boy did it burn..and I was on fire again when handling saved seeds. I seem to be particularly slow learner from my mistakes.. :BangHead:

Are you ok with the 'burn'? Rub some cheese on you lips to get rid of it.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 19:18:53 »
The hot 'oils' from chillies are capable to work through cloves. I read from somewhere that white latex cloves only last 1/2 hour before they 'give' up and you get the stuff on your hands.
Similar thing did happen to me other year...and it was with Naga Morichs too...boy did it burn..and I was on fire again when handling saved seeds. I seem to be particularly slow learner from my mistakes.. :BangHead:

Are you ok with the 'burn'? Rub some cheese on you lips to get rid of it.

The burn has calmed down now, thanks. (I would never have thought of using cheese)

If it does that to latex gloves, what's it doing to our insides? 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:21:57 »
Similar thing happened to me last week, except it wasnt my lips- i accientally rubbed my EYES!! needless to say - it hurt!
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:55:16 »
If it does that to latex gloves, what's it doing to our insides? 

It is 'only' a sensation that you skin feels..not true burning and as for insides..you've got stomach acid that breaks down the eaten stuff ..worst that happens in tummy is to have indigestion.
'Nothing' to worry... :drunken_smilie:

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 15:05:09 »
I think Nagas are too hot. Maybe they are fine for commercial use where you want concentrated capsaicin but for ordinary cooking other chillies deliver the heat plus taste too. I like the lime flavour of the habaneros and Nagas but the heat overwhelms them. I grew nagas one year and still have some dried but I prefer other varieties.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal