Author Topic: Bit Sad  (Read 2010 times)

bridgehouse

• Acre
Bit Sad
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:33:44 »
I am a little sad this morning, I have decided to give my plot up because I can't manage it any longer, I fell and broke my femur twelve mothes last Christmas . I  have struggled to maintain the plot ever since. my balance is ifffy, I shall be sad to leave it because I have met some very nice people since I have had the plot, but its not fair to keep it when there is a waiting list is it.
who ever takes it on will have two lovely raised beds etc ,yesterday I went down to the plot and gave away things I there, compost bin ,bins, garden chairs etc. I shall still go to the open days , and call in to see my friends when I am passing, such a shame to give up, but I have my garden.
   June.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Bit Sad
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:40:48 »
It is sad when the time comes but you have made the right decision I feel

I often think that the larger allotment sites should have a couple of plots that are worked communally for members that are in your situation thus making the break less dramatic than a plot to work to nothing.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:43:06 »
Why not just downsize a bit or share with a friend. Bone breakages take a lot longer as you get older, but with a bit of ingenuity you can get over it. I cannot kneel anymore because of a knee replacement, but I have found other ways of getting things done.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:53:06 »
Such a shame, I feel you've done the right thing , though. One of our older members has just had to give up as his knees are shot. We've talked him into taking on 2 of the disabled, raised beds. Is there nothing like this for you, it's given him a new lease on life, he's cleared them already and started sowing his spring cabbage seed  :happy7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:11:00 »
Sad with you!  This decision would have been very hard indeed.  As a gardener rather than having a lottie all the contact and cameraderie is just not there.  At least you can still come and keep contact and most likely help and advice those who are just starting out.

Following on from daveyboi's idea: Maybe you could suggest a 'mentoring plotshare' idea to your committee - it must happen a lot that somebody is struggling for whatever reason and there are new people who maybe need the advice and help to get them growing and not give up in their first year.  They could be doing most of the work, you or people in your situation, the mentoring?  This would mean you can keep a hand in and they get a better start and perhaps the encouragement they need not to drop out.

You still have your garden and I wish you very well.  And hope that there will be improvement in your health and balance.  As long as you stay with us on A4A - please!   

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 12:12:11 »
I dont know of the numbers on your allotment June but having a bad back as I do doesnt lend itself to allotmenteering but tween me and 3 other plot holders I have managed to keep mine afloat,I would have thought if you offer a few veggies as a thankyou as I do maybe you could continue your plot allbeit in a supervisory role.
At least you can then still enjoy the comradeship of good friends that you have made and see your veggies enjoyed by you and your assistants.

Tweentime I hope you have a good recovery and your mobilty isnt hampered too much  !!!!

GazNjude

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 13:48:40 »
You will soon have your garden turned into a mini market garden, I am sure!  It is sad though, I feel for you. Get  better soon.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 23:09:30 »

Thank you everyone, but no I can't keep the plot, I could not work it properly now. and there is no other option on the Allotment site for people who cannot manage their plot ,but still I have had a few happy years on the plot.and met some lovely people, so never mind , all good things come to an end some time. don't they.
   June.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 23:59:13 »
mmm, like your suggestions regarding creating a couple of plots for allotmenteers unable to keep their own plots, mentoring etc.  Will request it is put on next agenda.  We have more plots at mo than people who want them but so many younger enthusiasts insisting they want a full plot have come and gone in short time over last couple of years.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal