Author Topic: Squash identification please?  (Read 1569 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Squash identification please?
« on: September 19, 2012, 23:04:14 »
The squash pictured below is obviously not what it says on the packet (Table bush queen, from a seed swap) and though I've looked through my squash book I can't identify it. It is a paler green than the Crown Prince and an entirely different shape. I have two large Crown Prince growing - they are flatter and more deeply ribbed and don't have the 'domed' bit by the stalk. Anyone know what it could be please?

Tricia

lilyflower

• Not So New ...
Re: Squash identification please?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 15:33:25 »
Hello
slightly off topic, and I'm sorry but can't identify your squash, but ...
I have an allotment and have grown butternut squash for several years.  This year I had some difficulty getting the seeds to germinate and eventually grew some of my old seed collected from a squash I had grown (as I have done in previous years) and some from new seed.  I planted 12 plants out and have had a strange mixture of fruits - some are normal butternut squash and others are huge (45cm long) green but squash shaped - see photo.  The green ones grew first, got bigger and bigger, stayed green and I cut one today to see what they look like inside - orange butternut squash type flesh.
What have I done?!
I would appreciate some advice.   Do you think they will turn orange?  Are they ripe?  I have 9 of these green monsters!
many thanks
Lilyflower
ps sorry can't get photo to attach

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 17:49:15 »
Hi Lily - It sounds like you may have a Hubbard squash... google to fid a pic...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 19:03:54 »
Hi Lily - mmmmm dont know then - sorry.. Yes quite a transformation on my plot..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 21:20:39 »
Hi Lilyflower, I suggest you may have a cross of some sort as all squash are very promiscuous. I suspect it will eat fine but just let them get as ripe as possible and try one. Have you had any custard quash in the vicinity that could have given a x and the white colour?

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 22:07:13 »
Hi Lily - what about this one.. it sort of sounds like yours..  google images for Cornell's Bush Delicata

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal