General > Top Tips

Bright Idea Against Vine Weevil.

<< < (2/4) > >>

ed dibbles:
So the barrier method could be worthwile to try. I too thought that they only laid their eggs on the surface of the compost but can as easily see how determined adults could use drainage holes. After all they fall to the ground when dusturbed we are told.

A barrier method would also solve the suggested night time manouvers with a torch. :happy11:

Since I now have so many grape plants/varieties I have no choice but to attempt growing them in pots so need to think of a cheap way to thwart vine weevils.

If successful I may even begin growing standard fuschias again. :icon_sunny:

ACE:
There are certain commercial mixtures you can dose the pots with but I would be very wary with edibles like grapes. Centipedes are good if you come across any while gardening, gently rehouse them in your big pots.  They may not stay about long but worth a try just in case they do set up home in your grapevine pots.

ed dibbles:
Thanks all some great suggestions. Good to find out about others experiences with those wicked grubs.

I've heard about laying out the grub filled compost for the birds and often thought about trying it. Saw Monty Don using the nematodes for VW on Gardeners World this week. He didn't mention the cost of course.

I'll try the barrrier method first and see how I get on.

Thanks again all. :happy11:

Vinlander:
I always use the drowning method for strawberry pots - mainly because it saves all that effort you put in to get your column of gravel working so you can top-water the whole pot.

If you have the largest pots you might need to buy a plastic dustbin to make a big enough drowning pool - I use mine to store prunings in most of the year (while they become "woodchip") - or you can buy one of those big tubs with rope handles that have dozens of occasional uses.

The strawberries will happily survive 36 hours or more under water.

In experiments with vine weevils in a jam jar I've found them all dead after 12 hours - but it probably depends on the oxygen content of the water so 36 is safe.

With sensible shaped pots (tapered) it can be therapeutic to get the rootball out and see the buggers die - but if you use the drowning method it's guaranteed - and being tiny and hiding won't protect them.

Cheers.

PS. if you do have dodgy compost then microwaving it for 10min will kill everything (I try to get the centipedes and worms out - especially as I seldom find vine weevil in with centipedes). I used to use empty washing powder cartons but now I use much bigger microwave containers from 99p shops.

galina:
Like the drowning idea, Vinlander.

How smelly is using the microwave?  Guess that kills all the 'good guys' as well.   :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version