Author Topic: Charlie  (Read 5302 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Charlie
« on: September 11, 2012, 23:06:37 »
Charlie was not too well today, he was sleeping outside and not eating.  He did not seem to recognise me, then he went on his beloved door mat and had trouble breathing, rattle in his throat.   Called the emergency vet, and after a cab ride I decided and the vet to have him put to sleep.  I am so upset, and OH has told me off as it could have waited until tomorrow, but I decided he had enough.  Tonight I feel so guilty as perhaps tomorrow he may have got better, and feel like I have committed murder. Don't think I will sleep well tonight, I want him back home, but had to make a very hard decision.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Charlie
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 00:01:59 »
I'm so sorry Borlotti ... if it makes you feel any better I think in your position I (and many others) would have done the same thing.  You've made a very difficult decision and it was probably the right one.

I'm sure you won't sleep - the sadness will do that to you.  But don't let guilt play a part in it either ... sounds like you're only guilty of being kind.

Cheers

Squeezy

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 04:50:46 »
So sorry to hear this. We all know how much you and your OH loved Charlie and this is the reason you did what you did.  I'm sure that feelings of guilt are natural, but in time you will both see that you did the only thing you could have done.

Squeezy has put it perfectly, you were only guilty of being kind.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 05:03:01 »
Deep down you know it was the right thing to do B.   :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 06:58:12 »
I know you must feel sad but please don't feel guilty.You did what was the right thing to do for Charlie. He is at peace now Borlotti.Charlie was one loved cat
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 07:06:15 »
So sad for you & Charlie, but please don't feel guilty, Charlie would be happy that you put his needs before yours. xxx  :'(

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:26:06 »
Oh Borlotti, I am SO sorry to hear of this. You must just feel so bad and you really shouldn't (although I know it's natural) Charlie was struggling and that didn't make him happy. What you have done is shown him kindness and helped him struggle no more.  I'm having a similar thing going on here with Shosty, our pet bird so I fully understand how you must be feeling.  Charlie isn't struggling anymore, you did the right thing. BIG hugs to you xx 

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:59:35 »
Oh you poor thing !   My heart goes out to you . Give yourself time to grieve and remember all the good times .Thinking of you . Debbie x
Trespassers will be composted !

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:35:52 »
This morning I am glad I made the decision.  OH was upset that I had done it alone as cross because my mobile phone was in the kitchen drawer, but he is OK now, but has told me no more animals.  Think he was more upset than me.  Dreamt last night that Charlie wasn't dead and had found his way home and was asleep on his door mat and was well.  Was impressed with Medivet in Hertford Road, Enfield, as I rang up and they even said they would get me a cab, and went in straight away and the only person there, that helped.  Good to have an emergency service even although it costs.  Thank you for interest and Kev you said the right thing.  Will stuff my marrow that Nick from the allotment gave me, (off topic) and in a way it is a relief.  This site is brilliant as the first thing I did when I got home was go on here, as it was people to talk too.  Thank you all lovely peope.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 10:33:16 »
So sorry to hear you had to make the decision rather than him just passing peacefully, but I'm sure you were right. You'll feel lost without him for a while, just let time pass.

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 11:51:03 »
Absolutly the right thing to have done, especially if he had problem breathing, that would have caused him distress in the night.
He had good home, and much love in his life :)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 12:04:58 »
I sympathise, and I'm sure that you'll remember him with a smile and much fondness.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 13:45:42 »
So sorry to hear about your Charlie.  Do not reproach yourself Borlotti as you did the right thing.  It is difficult when we have to make the decision to have a loved animal put to sleep and often there are feelings of guilt, yet in our hearts we know it is the proper step to take to put an animal out of its suffering. 

As the days go by you will have precious and happy memories of Charlie and the feelings of guilt will disappear.  My husband and I went through these same feelings when we had our dear dog Meggie put to sleep in January. 

Our commiserations to you and your OH.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 13:49:13 »
I'm really sorry to hear about Charlie but pleased and proud that you were able to take the right decision when the time came.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 14:05:13 »
I'm really sorry to hear about Charlie but pleased and proud that you were able to take the right decision when the time came.

Always a very upsetting decision to make and one that anyone would regret having to make but it is an unselfish thing to do.
Charlie's interests were better carred for.

Well done you.

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 16:59:13 »
Hi Borlotti,
Only just read your post , I am so sorry you have lost your lovely old Charlie. he is at peace now,  If its any consolation  you did what was best for Charlie, I know you are missing him. and you will for some time to come, but you did the right thing for him .
   June.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 17:44:59 »
One of the worst things we have to do as pet owners. I always find making the decision to do it is the worst part. After its done and theres no going back I kinda pull myself back together again.
I always have rescue dogs and so usually had half their lives with someone else, so probably done the deed more times than most.
I usually give it a couple of weeks and the find myself back at the rescue, seeing what other poor soul needs me. Its strange but I find the learning the new dogs quirks helps me to heal the loss of a loved one that left a big hole x

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 09:54:14 »
Very sorry to hear this Borlotti. he was much loved and I think you knew that it was just his time that had come. You wouldn't have wanted him to suffer.

You say now no more animals, but I know that often one turns up anyway!!! Anyway you have your interlopers (Dulce etc) hanging around!
Hope that you are feeling a bit better, it's very hard. Try not to be too hard on yourself.
XXXX
Antipodes
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 10:52:58 »
Don't feel so good today.  The song 'want you back, just want you back for good' in my head.  I feel so GUILTY, should have had more tests done on him, let him stay on his doormat, but the last vet warned me he wouldn't just go to sleep, and his death wouldn't have been pleasant.  I do feel so guilty, and OH called me 'cat murderer' which I didn't think was funny, but he said that is want you keep calling yourself.  Dulce is on my lap, which is unusual, watching me type.  Well off to the hairdresser.  Did think about getting an old dog from Battersea, but then Dulce would be frightened but maybe he would go home.  Even Gabanna popped in yesterday for a 5 minute cuddle.  I never thought this would affect me, as have had many cats and dogs before, but think as one gets older, worry about everything more. Feel a lot better when I get out of this house, allotment time I think later.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 23:42:25 »
So sorry to hear about Charlie - but please don't feel guilty about loving your cat enough to know that you had to let him go.

Alison xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal