Author Topic: Bottles for building  (Read 1605 times)

davee52uk

• Acre
Bottles for building
« on: October 25, 2012, 21:53:44 »
Does anyone have any advise of using plastic bottles for building? I would like to produce edging for the main plot and perhaps rebuild part of my shed walls using plastic bottles ( the shed has mostly brick walls)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Bottles for building
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 07:47:42 »

Here is a link to instructions on how to build a greenhouse with bottles.  This may give you some ideas.  Note that the structurally important parts are made out of timber, the bottles have not a lot of strength by themselves, they are not like bricks, which have strength by themselves.

http://www.reapscotland.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Plastic_Bottle_Greenhouse_Instructions_2004.pdf

Bed edging can be made out of glass bottles, neck buried well into soil, base sticking out a few inches, This is safe and attractive . Plastic bottles would crack too easily, if stepped on.

HTH

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:12:32 »
I use bottle edging on the garden and lottie... have only broken one in three years... unlike other edging you can take them out individually to tackle any stubborn weeds that get into the edging.

Katiepops1977

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 18:55:27 »
Hi everyone (new on here today) just thought I would add that my chidlren's school have recently put out a plee for 2ltr plastic bottles from the local community as they were intending on building a greenhouse out of them. I was intrigued to say the least! However, after having an allotment for 3 weeks and inheriting an unsafe structure on the plot (the only structure there is) I am now quite interested in this as a project for myself. Any further tips would be great!

TelSteph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 00:24:04 »
Brill idea, we need a new wall for our shelter. I'll start collecting bottles now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal