Author Topic: Petrol strimmer suggestions please  (Read 2011 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Petrol strimmer suggestions please
« on: October 23, 2012, 21:05:51 »
The Honda brushcutter I have used on our site this past 4-5 years has finally given up the ghost.  Put it in for repair to be told repairs will cost almost as much as a new one.  I no longer need the brushcutter element of it as all heavy overgrown plots are on top of so a heavy duty strimmer should suffice.

I am looking for automatic feed, 4 stroke to do allotment site paths and occasionally reduce overgrown plots prior to allocating them.  Suggestions please.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Petrol strimmer suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 21:15:48 »
If you are not too constrained by cost go for a Stihl machine.

They are what the professionals use and last for a very long time. The one I used on ground maintenance on a caravan park was at least 12 years old and still going strong.

Your local Stihl dealer will advise you on the correct machine for your usage.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 21:40:32 »
Not sure Stihl do a 4-stroke.  I've used Stihl, Husqvarna, and Honda professional strimmers/brush cutters (and I think I'm right in saying that a brush cutter just has the straight shaft and they'll all take a strimmer head, and you won't get a professional quality strimmer as such).  I'd rate the honda 4-stroke above the others, it's a lot more ecconomical on fuel, and quieter too in my view.  They all have decent enough auto-feed strimmer heads, but you might have to experiment a bit to find the best stimmer cord - fine grass, rough grass, nettles, thistles, and brambles can all take a different cord for best results.  I'm not up on the models, but but I guess you're looking at a machine in the £400-500 bracket.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 21:54:33 »
It may not be exactly what you had in mind, but after less than happy experiences with 3 other types (admittedly second-hand), i finally ended up with Ryobi RLT-26CDS Line Trimmer with Start Easy - and its been reliable, trouble-free and starts first time with a flick of the switch - what more could you want!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 08:21:48 »
I've been ahppy with my Ryobi, the interchangeable heads is a useful feature too... but they do have a rep for either being great or being useless, the design is good, their QA is minimal so bad ones get through... need to dig mine out this weekend ....

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 08:53:30 »
Do not buy sovereign!!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

TelSteph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 00:33:46 »
Look up Ryobi on the web. We're really happy with ours.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 16:49:50 »
If you are looking for a strimmer then I woulb recomend a mcculloch strimmer as I have had one for over 10 years and it is still going well.
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 17:16:44 »
My ryobi 30cc expand-it was good, but too heavy for me so I now have ryobi oneplus lithium ion battery one which is fine for my tamed plot. I am selling the petrol one but not because it was useless but because it was too much for my various injuries.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal