Author Topic: Identifying apples - how to?  (Read 2122 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Identifying apples - how to?
« on: September 01, 2012, 23:52:31 »
The apples pictured below are supposed to be, respectively, Golden Delicious and Jonagold. It is obvious to me that, once again, Lidl got their labelling wrong, but does anyone have an idea as to what they might be? I've googled a bit and the 'Golden Delicious' looks a bit like an Isaac Newton (Flower of Kent). I don't think the other one is a Granny Smith, but possibly a Bramley???

Tricia

[attachment=1][attachment=2]
[attachment=3][attachment=4]

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Identifying apples - how to?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:00:51 »
Lidl varieties would be more of commercial/modern varieties than  older traditional ones. So...you are supposed to have 3 different sort there?..Golden Delicious, Jonagold and Granny Smith?
Correct identification at this stage for those varieties is not quite possible yet..Jonagold won't be ready for picking until around mid-October. So colours for that variety is only just starting to develop..the fruit on first picture is right shape for the Jonagold..for what can be judged.
Golden delicious don't develop that sort of colouring..even when ripe they may have bit of 'blushing'.
Granny smith...again..wrong colour development..they will stay deep green, though little bit of 'blushing is possible'.
Those big round ones do look like cookers..and bramley or some commercial bramley cross is most likely candidate.
If you can take another set of photos later on when the fruit has matured a bit..I could try looking into it again.
Other wise, here is good site too for more info.. http://www.nationalfruitcollection.org.uk/a-z.php

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:51:15 »
If you're anywhere near an RHS garden, they are doing fruit identification days in September.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 11:43:52 »
Good God - you must be the only person with apples!!

How lucky can you get?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:41:13 »
I have a lovely red one from Lidl no one has been able to identify it.  Nicest apple I have ever tasted.  Took one to garden organic identification day and they got it wrong.  I had a taste of the one they said it was and it was quite a different taste.    It was supposed to be a golden delicious.  

I have found Lidl apple trees are great but you hardly ever get what it says on the label in my experience.  I have bought three bramleys and still have not got one.  But actually very pleased with what I have got.

Discovery cropped reasonably well about 1/4 of normal but that is far too many.

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 13:57:12 »

Our apples have done really well only had problems with one tree. No idea what any of them are. but all from Lidl. One looks like discovery but quite tart. which is what I like. might take to my farmer friend see if he can name them !!

debbilove

• Not So New ...
    • Digginwivdebb Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 14:17:00 »
Many people here mentioned getting their apple trees from Lidl. When do they normally stock them?

www.digginwivdebb.wordpress.com

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 23:34:12 »
Thanks for the input everyone. The nearest RHS to me is in north Devon (Rosemoor Gardens), but since my second failed knee operation I no longer drive any distance - too painful, so I'll wait a month or so and take some more piccies. Maybe the apples will be easier to identify when they are ripe.

Tricia

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 07:45:47 »
Identification help might be available at an "Apple Day" if there is one near you, they are usually held in October.
The appearance of your apples might be misleading, not only because they have not yet matured, but also because of the unusual weather we have had this year. Jonagold is very variable. Also some of the varieties you mention are better grown in countries with higher temperatures and more sun such as Golden Delicious and Granny Smith.
If you have actually got a Bramley on your allotment then in a normal year it will be a huge improvement on what you get in the shops, it will have a rosy cheek be sweet and tasty. I don't know what to expect this year but I have a bumper crop and am hoping and praying for them to colour up. My neighbours back garden Bramley, a huge tree over 100 years old, completely collapsed a fortnight ago because of the weight of the crop.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:30:11 »
Code: [Select]
My neighbours back garden Bramley, a huge tree over 100 years old, completely collapsed a fortnight ago because of the weight of the crop.
What!?  :o..where ever you are...you've been lucky with weather when it was flowering time. Most of the country's apples have failed  to crop big time this year.
I've got well over 20 apples on my plots, which couple are BIG OLD trees..those yield barrow fulls every year, but this  ::)..and one of them is bramley. Rest of the trees are young ones and out of them I have 2 that are giving me 'full' crop and few others that carry just couple of odd fruits. I won't be filling my shed with apples this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal