Author Topic: Beans again!!!  (Read 5614 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Beans again!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 20:27:10 »
Ours are all going mad now, runners by the carrier bag full. French beans  picking a good couple of pounds every other day and the dwarf french we put in later in the poly are producing now. Quite a few borlotti and dwarf borlotti filling out

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 22:43:45 »

Tis a social nattering time of year in the family, a 'what to grow for next year, any specifics', - my 1st one is on the top, the other two were bought for the children and made their way home again like the children .... ::)

It reminds me of learning how to slice the beans and of shucking peas with my Grandma and her asking me about schooldays  :)

Ninny

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 22:53:14 »
Gave up with the bean slicer and converted to the kenwood chef due to quantity!!!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 22:59:42 »
As I said, tis a social nattering event in our household, all quantities abounding  :)

Ninny

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 12:57:09 »
I pick mine much smaller and simply top and tail then slice down the middle.   No stringy bits.
Still only small quantities, a handful per day.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 13:02:48 »
I froze three takeaway punnet/plastic things full of Cobras last night.... if I get the same again and a bit more that will be enough for me... I've tons of broadies...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 12:55:48 »
My gigandas..

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 14:11:05 »
My runners are already finished, the brief heatwave we had finished them off :( 
The Cobras have also been particularly bad this year however I am looking forward to my Borlottis which are almost ready. Silver lining and all that jazz :)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 16:12:29 »
Where can you buy Gigantes seed? I am tempted to try them next year.
I planted just over 20 St George runners in June and despite healthy appetites and eating them for lunch as well as dinners and giving a few away, the two of us can't keep up with them. Next year I will aim at planting 15 out and resowing 10 or 15 more after a month. We've hardly touched our Cobra french beans.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 18:27:14 »
You could probably get some in the swaps here. Otherwise look for a Greek grocer, or someone from that general region.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 10:35:16 »
http://www.seedsofitaly.com/product/269

These are the same as Gigandes, also called Spagna blanca in some lists. Mine originally came from Greece, but did badly one year (after some good years - very wet autumn) so I tried these and could not see any difference at all.

A friend brought me back a kilo of gigandes from Greece this year, but germination was very poor. I think they must have been sitting on a shop shelf for too long, though it's nice that Jeannine's Greek beans grew well. I have managed to get about 10 plants growing, and they are setting well - time will tell if they manage to dry out properly.

Some of them have grown up into my large old apple tree, right up into the sun, so I hope they will dry well up there, and that I can haul them down with a rake eventually.....

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2012, 10:40:35 »
Where can you buy Gigantes seed? I am tempted to try them next year.
I planted just over 20 St George runners in June and despite healthy appetites and eating them for lunch as well as dinners and giving a few away, the two of us can't keep up with them. Next year I will aim at planting 15 out and resowing 10 or 15 more after a month. We've hardly touched our Cobra french beans.
Once I get my crop in..I'm sure there is few spare for you.. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal