Author Topic: Anyone use an Eglu ?  (Read 3270 times)

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
Anyone use an Eglu ?
« on: August 22, 2012, 13:45:31 »
Hi guys, just got my allotment and want to keep a few chooks on it.

have been looking for coops and runs and came across these, they look pretty cool and seem to do it all.

does anyone have any experience of using these ?

thanks

matt

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Anyone use an Eglu ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 15:34:28 »
We had one for a couple of years. It was very easy to clean and great for a confined space like our old town centre victorian back garden. At the time they were selling well second hand - over the 2 years we only lost £100 on the Eglu. Nowadays they go for a lot less second hand so I'd seriously look into that if I wanted one.

Not sure I'd bother with on an allotment unless space was really restricted and I was there most days. The run, even with the extender, is not long enough for 3 birds all the time and they will be miserable as hell - hardly the point of growing your own!

Someone is now making cheap copycats - can't remember the name and I haven't seen one in the flesh but another thing worth considering. Me, I'm going to make a coop soon now that we have more space.

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 16:12:02 »
Thanks for the advice, i've never kept them before so need all the advice i can get really. I would readily have a proper coop with run but would prefer to buy a ready made one that i can assemble rather than one from scratch.
Could anyone reccomend somewhere to get one ?

I would ideally like to keep between 5-10 birds, how big a coop would i need for that many ? and would they be fine in a coop and fox proof run or would they need more space to roam ?

thanks

matt

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 20:42:57 »
I don't have an eglu but am getting one. I looked a friends chooks for a few weeks while they were away & it was so easy to clean them out even in the bitter Winter 3 years ago. I have a bad back & the eglu doesn't give me any problems whereas the wooden coop we have does. I'm having the cube so there will be space underneath. There is a run with it but we have a run that OH built for the girls. That's 8'x12' & the wire is buried into the ground, about a foot of it & it has a wire roof with a tarpaulin cover over it. The girls seem very happy. We have 4 bantams & 2 speckeldy's.

persecuted unlimited

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 21:55:37 »
we got our coup on ebay new for £110 delivered, it has an easy clean pull out tray at the bottom and we have 9 chucks living comfortable in it.

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 22:00:18 »
Thats good to know janny, my allotment is 250m2 and i can use as much as i want for the chickens so i was thinking of getting an eglu without the run, then fencing off an area for them to use, digging the fencing down and making sure its nice and high, im hoping as the allotment is in the middle of a residential area and near two main roads, the activity would keep away foxes during the day and they would be shut up at night.

Persecuted- is it an do you have a link to the sold page ? or know the sellerid ? that sounds like a great deal

deckchairblue

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 16:40:12 »
Been looking around quite a bit and think i shall unit off of eBay, it seems that Omlet actually sell ones that they have used or that get returned on ebay, seen units that go for £500 finish for around £100.

Once i have this i hope to be able to fence in a decent patch of my plot, ive seen people use chicken fencing, with corregated metal dug into the bottom of it.

thanks for the advice guys

matt

Mrs Tweedy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 21:09:53 »
We have had an eglu cube for about 4 years now.

They are a doddle to keep clean and mite free.

They keep the girls warm during the winter and although we get less eggs in the winter we still get them.

We keep the Eglu in a run that is netted and electric fenced 'cos there are about 10 foxes in the area.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal