Author Topic: Help with Blackberry jam..  (Read 2346 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Help with Blackberry jam..
« on: August 22, 2012, 16:32:13 »
Hi avid jam makers.. My question is as follows:  Unlike raspberries blackberries come off the plant with the inner core still attached to the fruit so how do I remove the inner core of the blackberries when making jam?  I thought of sieving them out and mushing the pulp through a coarse'ish sieve to remove the seeds and cores which will make a smooth seedless jam but I would also like the seeds in the jam if possible!!

Help please.. thanks GJC
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

kippers garden

• Hectare
Re: Help with Blackberry jam..
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 19:49:55 »
I just pull the inner core out if it doesn't come out when I pick the blackberry....am not sure what you mean if it's not the bit attached to the stalk bit?
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 20:12:37 »
I think your on about the little brown hairy bit attached to the berry ,I just made blackberry jelly it was lovely just use a cotten pillow slip after a good boil wash ;Hang it up and let it slowly drip putting a  the plate on top of the boiled fruit with a weight,then just add the sugar and make the jam don't forget to add some pectin :)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 22:05:28 »

I normally find a few bits of stalk (about 1/2" long) which I remove when inspecting for six legged protein.  But the actual centre of the berry I leave.

I'm finding myself making bramble jelly more than jam.  When allowing the juice to drain through the jelly bag overnight, resist the temptation to squeeze the bag as this makes the jelly go cloudy.

Just as tasty but if you are going to enter competitions you will be marked down :'(

Cheers,    Tony.

" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 22:21:24 »
Made 15 jars of seedless jamelly tonight.. I used a coarse sieve and a wooden pestle to get most of the fruit through as I dont like seeds!! The cores just get mushed up and turn into jam!!  Tastes great.. Mixed brambles, rasps and a few re currants..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 07:24:17 »
Made 15 jars of seedless jamelly tonight.. I used a coarse sieve and a wooden pestle to get most of the fruit through as I dont like seeds!! The cores just get mushed up and turn into jam!!  Tastes great.. Mixed brambles, rasps and a few re currants..

Having just read Tony's post about checking for 6 legged protein, I missread "cores" for "corpses" :o

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 17:09:16 »

Having just read Tony's post about checking for 6 legged protein, I missread "cores" for "corpses" :o

The corpses did get mushed as well... the berries were frozen as picked so couldn't check for vermin!! just adds to the flavour!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal