Author Topic: Charlie (again)  (Read 9263 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Charlie (again)
« on: August 09, 2012, 16:54:59 »
Charlie went to the vet today, and he was sick in the van on the way, too hot I expect.  He had some fur lumps cut out, so looks a very sorry state.  Vet was worried about him as he got very distressed.  He is home now and have bought him a new door mat, as he just loves the one inside the front door, but no-one can get in or out.  Got to take him back in a few weeks, as the vet said it was not fair to let him suffer, but he has been OK lately, and I will know when the time has come. He has just eaten a plateful of best raw mince, so can't be too bad.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Charlie (again)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 19:17:39 »
Ah bless him. He does look a bit bedraggled.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 23:07:59 »
Oh bless his little white paws.  It's so distressing when our pets aren't themselves :(  Hope you'll both be ok x

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 23:12:53 »
Poor wee sweetie.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:35:43 »
Poor little love, cuddles from me.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:06:59 »
Poor little thing.
How is he today?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:52:30 »
Long haired cats do need regular daily grooming to stop the fur lumps from forming and to lessen the chance of fur ball forming inside them when they groom themselves. so are very time consuming.  I had one once and would never get another one with long fur as they need more time spent on them than short-haired cats. 

I hope Charlie is recovering now.  He must be uncomfortable in this hot weather.  You could try moving the door mat a little further from the door each day so he doesn't block the doorway. 

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 09:31:20 »
We do brush him everyday, or rather OH does.  When we first had him as a stray he had to go to the vet and be shaved, he was in a terrible state.  Trouble is now he is so thin it hurts him and we couldn't cut, brush the lumps out.  No more long haired cats for me, or any cats I say now.  He is fine today on his beloved front door mat.  He is not too keen on the cheap one I bought from Morrisons by the back door.  He is fine today and happy to be home. Got a bit of a lecture from the young vet as she said a lot of people keep their cats too long, and expect them to die peacefully in their sleep, but she said it doesn't happen that that and we have to keep a close eye on him.  The other vet (older lady) said he was a very good old boy, and that after the blood tests not too bad for his age.  I would never let him suffer but he still purrs and eats well.  I will know myself when he has had enough, but is very happy with his mat and the front door open.  He doesn't want to go out anymore, but likes looking out. Well OH makes a terrible fuss of that cat and told me to go out the back door and not disturb the dear cat.  Well I am off to play tennis so he will have to go in the kitchen and try out the cheap doormat.  Thank you all for your concern about Charlie, luckily I am retired so am in most of the day to keep an eye on him.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45:34 »
Do you use those thin latex gloves for gardening, Borlotti? I just stroke my cats while wearing a pair, it's brilliant for grooming and you can be really light and careful of his poor old bones.
This is a lovely poem about an old cat - bit sniffly though!
http://stumbles.org.uk/John/rec/Poems/Cat.html

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 20:18:00 »
When the time came for me to make that call (it's heartbreaking, but you do know) the vet thanked me for not leaving it too late.  (kidneys failing ).

Dear Charlie - he's a well loved cat, and like my husband says there's no point in having a pet if you don't love it and make it part of the family.

Alison x

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 14:47:57 »
He is still in love with the front door mat.  Have learnt to step over him.  He does look a right state, no wonder the vet thought he has was on the way out, but he lives to fight another day.

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 13:30:44 »

Poor Charlie he loves his mat, my cat Gracie has trouble grooming herself now . Charlie seem's happy in his own little way  .  Good luck Charlie.
 June.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 22:19:25 »
He is not eating today, and went to asleep in the garden, and drunk some water, he is asleep today on his lovely front door mat, but even OH, who loves that cat said if he is not better tomorrow we may have to take him to the vet, I didn't think I loved that cat too much, but am crying now.  Have just kicked Dulce out, as he loves Charlie but Charlie just can't hope with a young cat playing with him tonight. Maybe the vet can come here as I don't want to have to take him away from his lovely door mat.  His back legs have gone but he still managed to get into the house.  I wish he could just go to sleep on my lap, but don't want him to suffer.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 00:14:14 »
So sorry Borlotti, it's a horrible time, I hope he goes quietly in the night. Keep us posted.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 06:45:06 »
I feel so sorry for all of you, please let us know what happens.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 07:09:06 »
Dreadful time for you both Borlotti but you have loved that cat so much.He has had a lovely life with you. I too hope that Charle goes to sleep on his beloved door mat.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 09:40:33 »

So sorry to hear about Charlie, you love him I know, our pets have a way of creeping into our hearts don't they.
     June.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 10:20:29 »
Thinking of you

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 11:13:59 »
We have decided not to take him to the vet today, as he is asleep on his lovely mat.  Next door has cooked him some boiled chicken, but it is too hot here today, so will give him some tonight.  He just wants to sleep.  Keep checking that he is still breathing, but he is a strong old boy, and wants to stay with us.  If he does get distressed will have to do a trip to the vet Monday, or I have the emergency number of a vet from the normal vet, but so far today he is just sleeping.  Well I am going to pick some runner beans from the lovely allotment and OH can watch him.  Not sure if I will be able to have him put to sleep, but will go from advice from the vet, so maybe best to make appointment for Monday.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 12:48:20 »
Oh Borlotti, am sad for you when reading this. I check this thread every day for updates of dear Charlie.  It's such an inner struggle to know what to do. I know you and OH will make the best decision for Charlie and I hope his day gets better xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal