Author Topic: ""Too Hot for Mink""  (Read 3442 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
""Too Hot for Mink""
« on: July 28, 2012, 06:36:19 »
Having a quick fishing dabble at a weir pool near my home I was told by another angler that a family of mink had been using the tow path as a means of feeding them selves on thrown sarnies and leftover bait.

Shepperton Weir where fishermen and kayaks share its turbulent water for a past time,but now the mink use it as a dining area.

anyway,im sat there about 10pm and this one scuttles along the bank bold as brass,I stand up and it jumps in the river.

It dissappears across the river.

after dark an angler up the bank shouts  ""Here they come""!!!
and sure enough a family of 5 Mink red eyes gleaming in my headlight come behind my chair and hurried along the towpath squeeking as they went,I got 4 of them as they went away....soz a bit blurred.

This baby one got a tad lost and I got a close up of him while he decided where to go.

a real one off experience but having come home I did ring the London Wildlife centre to report it as although they are cute they are also savage killers of water voles and all things waterfowl....so I think I did the right thing.

.........Oh the fishing ,well I had 7 Bream to 7lb 2oz.

Gazza

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: ""Too Hot for Mink""
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 18:26:18 »
They're horrible things, and you're right about the water voles. The good thing is that otters are making a comeback, and they eat mink. Water voles have been able to make a bit of a comeback in many areas.

susan1

• Half Acre
Re: ""Too Hot for Mink""
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:15:11 »
I saw one of these last Saturday whilst going to the pub with hubby, it was very black and I did wonder what it could be, I thought mnk were brown. It scuttled over the road from the river into a now defunct strawberry field

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal