Author Topic: The Olympics  (Read 24934 times)

pumkinlover

The Olympics
« on: July 27, 2012, 23:25:51 »
Well I for one and even Mr PKL (AKA Mr grumps) are enjoying the opening ceremony.
I had no idea who Danny Boyle was when they kept saying that he had planned it but he's done a good job I think its superb :D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 23:27:35 by pumpkinlover »

lisaparkin

• Acre
Re: The Olympics
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 23:32:05 »
I'm watching too....fantastic ;D

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 23:37:23 »
I think we done good. Nothing to be embarrassed about ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 00:02:11 »
Well I've got to admit it looks a bit like the Queen is a bit past her bed time ;) ;) ;)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 00:45:07 »
Well done Danny! Very entertaining ;D

Duke

Ps not sure about Paul Mac though :-X
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 00:56:22 »
A great ceremony, make one very proud to be British.

Ninny

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:40:31 »
I think Danny Boyle did really well with the ceremony, very interesting & unusual, great atmosphere etc. Fantastic achievement to get so many volunteers rehearsed to such professional standards. Lovely to see so many children helping, especially the hard of hearing choir & sick children from G.O St hospital.
The copper petals sculpture that became the huge Olympic flame was truly awesome & I loved the cyclists dressed as birds - I am very glad no real birds were released this time.

....... sadly I have to agree with Duke, I think Paul Mac was actually quite terrible in comparison to all the other music acts, such a shame as it really did notice after such a brilliantly performed evening by everyone else. 

The Queen also looked quite disinterested when the GB team were entering the arena....I was surprised the camera stayed on her for so long while she was checking her nails!!!! Opps  ::) Bless her  ;D  as Pumpkinlover says it probably was way passed her normal bed time & it has been an exceptionally busy year for her hasn't it xJane

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 08:28:14 »
Her Maj does pretty well for her age.........

Thought the opening was wonderful but considering our financial situation we have to think how much has this cost the tax payer.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 09:48:44 »
Talk about ..Lets airbrush history!!!!!  ::)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 10:07:22 »
You've just got to love it even the KNOCKERS.   :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:09:28 »
Yes, I too was pleasantly surprised, and I too thought it would have been better without Paul McCartney- and Arctic monkeys, come to that. Shame Danny Boyle didn't get to take a bow.
Hats off to those drummers!

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 10:30:43 »
I thought it was brilliant - all we need now is for our athletes to enjoy the success that they deserve.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 11:27:17 »
Thought the bit with the rings was brilliant, as is the flame with a little flame for each country.
A nice gesture the coming together of separate parts.

Why did they dub in the queens voice?

OH found it very hard they kept flicking from one thing to another, he got very confused.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 11:27:48 »
What a wonderful spectacle; everyone worked so hard and everything flowed so well.  Brilliantly organised.  Who is Danny Boyle by the way?  I had never heard of him until last night.

I loved the Rowan Atkinson sketch.  When the orchestra was announced, we thought it would be a boring five minutes so OH went out to refill our glasses of wine.  Fortunately, I was able to rewind it for him and we both sat there laughing.  We also loved the James Bond helicopter sketch involving the Queen.

Paul McCartney was dreadful.  Perhaps he had a sore throat, though last time I heard him sing I thought he had lost his voice.  There should have been other singer celebrities who could have sung with him, perhaps standing next to him and drowning him out!  

As for the Queen, I felt really embarrassed that she let our country down so much by not even a smile.  I know she is old and Philip even older but I really think she should stand down now.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 11:36:09 »
I do seem to be in the minority but I thought it a bit of a mess and lacking in direction.  Even the musical elements seemed to be out of order somewhat and I felt the comedic element was a little flat.  To me the opening ceremony is a waste of time and money and far too much attention is paid to it. 
Get on with the sport and let it speak for itself..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 11:52:01 »
Nice touch from the germans

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:46 »
Paul Mcartney was crap, but it could have been even worse- they could have picked Rod Stewart !!

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 13:54:01 »
I went to bed after Seb's talk is that why I seem to have missed Paul McCartney.?

Reading the Olympics soon..... thread I suggest that we have a little order to the proceedings-

May I respectfully suggest that this thread  (The Olympics )has the the pro- Olympics comments (with a little well deserved negativity such as references to somewhat bored monarchs!) mind you after sky diving in everything else was going to be a bit tiresome for her ;)

The real Olympic- sceptics can post away with abandon in the already Olympics soon......... thread.

So to reiterate.
The Olympics for Happy clappy comments

The Olympics soon....... for Olympic sceptics.

ps I have checked with LOCOG and they are happy with this suggestion (just thought I'd better run it by them)

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 14:33:21 »
Well I am very Humbug about these things. I hate sport and used the tracking of the flame to know which places to avoid and only started watch because I had poped into Daughters to get a bit of advise on my new phone ???and she was about to watch it
but from the start I was captured and watched till the end ;D although did not enjoy the rapper and was let down by Paul as I'v been a Beatles fan from the 60's and feel he should retire as I have. the Queen did seem a bit off but I understand she has one of those faces that look glum whennot actually smiling (as I have) and like to think the camera caught her at the wrong moments.
I did know who Danny boyle is as I enjoyed Slumdog Millionnaire
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 14:37:03 »
I've never enjoyed an opening ceremony as much as the one last night. Kudos to you Brits for doing it right. Loved the Queen skydiving. We roared over here. And having the young children in many parts was so sweet.
But they're going to tear down the Stadium after the Olympics?? :o
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal