Author Topic: Drying garlic  (Read 5046 times)

Dragonette

• Not So New ...
Drying garlic
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:08:29 »
I've had my first crop of garlic. i'm not sure if they are ok as they were in damp clay soil for weeks. How long do they need to dry completely? I've left them in the conservatory, are they ok with day light?

Many thanks :)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: Drying garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 13:28:29 »
The conservatory is a good place fot it to dry. I've got mine with tops cut of drying in blue trays

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 21:01:58 »
Hang them if you can till all the green dies off then trim it off and store in net bags. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 22:15:10 »
Mine are in the conservatory.  Dug them up, washed them a little, then plaited them and tied them up and hooked them on to the shelving.  They will be fine there until we use them.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:42:32 »
As it is now TOO hot to leave them spread outside, my onions are currently drying on an old sheet on my dining room table! When I go to work, I close the shutter but open the window. So far so good. The garlic dried on a wooden box in the laundry room.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:41 »
As it is now TOO hot to leave them spread outside, my onions are currently drying on an old sheet on my dining room table! When I go to work, I close the shutter but open the window. So far so good. The garlic dried on a wooden box in the laundry room.

You cant win can you!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:02:36 »
Just don't store them close together - they affect each other and don't keep as long.. - they cause some sort of problem with vapors given off or something strange like that..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 12:04:30 »
Just don't store them close together - they affect each other and don't keep as long.. - they cause some sort of problem with vapors given off or something strange like that..

Ooooops  Noooooooo - Sorry I have it wrong.... don't store potatoes and onions close together!!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 15:55:44 »
Hello all.

How hot is too hot? I've been drying my garlic in the greenhouse. What happens if they get too hot?

Regards

Bluecar

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 18:53:33 »
Bump

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 23:54:21 »
Bump

I had some of mine in the greenhouse for a few days before they were taken to the conservatory.  If the greenhouse gets that hot, it is too hot for the tomatoes inside as well.  So I wouldn't worry about too hot.  But these days I always leave the doors open anyway, because the roof vents alone are just not enough ventilation.

Don't worry unless your other greenhouse crops show signs of suffering.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 07:10:47 »
Thanks Galina

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 09:43:12 »
They cool if they get too hot.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 12:31:42 »
They cool if they get too hot.

Would you please explain?  Are you saying that their flavour gets less strong if they get too hot?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal