Author Topic: Courgette gone soft ??  (Read 3211 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
Courgette gone soft ??
« on: July 19, 2012, 19:07:10 »
I've got a few courgettes growing, the bell shaped ones and they are slowly coming along ( Nizza variety I think is part of the name) . Just had a look at one which looked a perfect shape only to find half of the courgette is soft and mushy, and the other half is still firm. Whay has happen and can I prevent it happening to the others?  :(
Bring back Spotty Dog........

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Courgette gone soft ??
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 20:48:42 »
If it is the small squash that soften and drop off they are probably being waterd too much.They will grow large lush leaves but poor fruit, A small courgette on an over watered vine will often turn yellow and rot as it reaches thumb size.

Courgettes also get blossom end rot the same as tomatoes, It starts on what looks like a good healthy courgette. Look at the blossom end for first signs, it will be a dark, possibly sunken spot which will gradually increase till eventually half the courgettes is rotten at the blossom end. This howevr usually is on the first fruit and often corrects itself as the season progresses, it is not infectious.

You can use the good end of the courgette by the way if it is mature.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:45:34 »
Thanks Jeanine, it was the first fruit but I wouldn't have said I had overwatered it as it is under partial cover and having been away for 3 weeks didn't get that much watering !!  However I will keep an eye on the rest and watch the watering.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 19:30:08 »
If it is undercover be sure it gets enough ventilation as this can cause another kind ot rot.

Blossom end rot can be caused by too much or too little water , it is a lack of  calcium uptake  at flowering time that causes it, in your case if yoiu have been away and the plants covered it may well be too little
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 18:45:33 »
They are covered by a plastic sheet cloche which is full of holes so when it rains some of the water always gets through. Also each end of the cloche is open as well so that the air can pass through. Hard to say whether too little or not enough water. Either way, I'm watching closely the rest of the bell courgettes and how much I water. thxs for the help  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal