Author Topic: In view of what could be a harsh and wet winter to come,,,,,,  (Read 1972 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
is it worth planting winter onions and garlic, last year i lost 75% of the winter crop
through bolting and rotting   ???

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: In view of what could be a harsh and wet winter to come,,,,,,
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 20:05:28 »
It may be a mild, dry winter but there is simply no way of knowing in advance so you might as well flip a coin to decide!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 20:21:11 »
I think it's to early to decide yet. There's still at least 8 weeks to make your mind up.

Bluecar

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 23:02:01 »
Actually,where we live, in comparison to "summer", winter was great!

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:43:03 »
Yep I am wondering if we will get a silly hot/sunny October like we did a few years ago....would probably many of the things I am planning to sow bolt  :-\
I think I am going to hedge my bets by sowing a little of everything that can be sown from now until September, I have a wide variety of seeds so figure there isn't much to lose by trying a wide variety  ;)
xJane

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 09:39:36 »
I have just lifted all my onions and shallots, planted in autumn, and rather suprisingly they are the best I have ever grown, even though a few were starting to rot in the soggy ground. 90% of them are large and healthy. So I am definitely going for autumn planting again.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:27:16 »
I think the plants think we are in winter and heading towards Spring and summer. 

I have several viburnums and the two that bloomed in March now have flowers coming out again.  They are both the highly scented Burkwoodii.

Outdoor tomatoes and cues are not doing anything and runner beans are still only about 2 ft tall.  I now have my first courgette almost ready to be picked.

I have never known a summer like this one has been.  We have been particularly affected here on the edge of Salisbury Plain.  I haven't worn any shorts this year and we have had just one barbecue.  We often eat out in the garden at lunchtimes during the summer months but this year have stayed indoors.  Since April we have had nothing but rain and cold weather.

Maybe the viburnums know something we don't.  Maybe the weather will change and we will have 3 months of blissful heat and everything will start to grow!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 16:37:50 »
The seasons from last year to now were Spring, September, Winter, March, and Monsoon.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal