Author Topic: Wind up/solar radio recommendations?  (Read 2271 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Wind up/solar radio recommendations?
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:46:49 »
Somehow I work harder and longer on the plot if I can listen to radio programmes (with headphones on unless I am alone), but my lastest radio has gone awol. I've been looking up new ones on Amazon, but it is very difficult to choose among those costing about £20. Either there aren't enough reviews to be confident, or they contradict each other.....

Does anyone use a small radio that they can really recommend? I'm looking for wind-up with a solar panel and earphone attachments, with or without torch, for under £30.

steve76

• Acre
Re: Wind up/solar radio recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:58:28 »
Hi
 what about using your phone??? save buying a radio?? i have all my favorite albums on mine and I'm sure you can get radio stations on them now as well... just and idea...

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:06:40 »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ICFS22-Personal-Radio/dp/B0007YQNSW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342695805&sr=8-3

I've got one of these for the plot, I listen to Radio 4 in my plastic greenhouse when it is pssing it down - so quite a lot recently.  It is fine for that and the batteries last for ages.  If mine goes missing, I'd buy the same one again.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 13:03:37 »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 13:14:30 »
Thanks - but I have found it very useful to be able to wind a radio up when the sun goes in (sun????), and I don't have electricity on the plot. So it has to be both solar powered, and muscle powered.....

I've been happy with this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Digital-Display-Wind-Up-Powered/dp/B002XNGTOI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342684760&sr=1-1 at £17

but I've lost it, and before ordering the same again, I thought someone might be able to recommend a better one?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 17:02:03 »
Steve - I have such a primitive mobile phone I didn't think it had a radio, but it does! Thanks, good for emergencies.

Still looking for a radio because I dislike those little ear pieces that you have to try and wedge inside your ears......

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 18:01:30 »
Just in case this is useful to anyone else looking for a very cheap allotment radio, I have carefully compared all the solar/wind up/chargeable radios on Amazon and gone back to my original choice:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Digital-Display-Wind-Up-Powered/dp/B002XNGTOI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342684760&sr=1-1

It is the cheapest at £17, and I know from experience that it works and puts up with being covered in mud and left out in the rain occasionally. It can take bearable earphones and more or less survives a tough life, though the aerial is vulnerable. The torch is really quite bright for its size, and it has been used for reading in tents.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 19:27:11 »
I've got a Roberts Solar DAB (same as Barriedale Nick's). It was pricey but it sounds great, and what sold it for me was that its got a socket to plug in an Ipod or MP3 player. Wouldnt leave it on the alloment though, and its not exactly pocket sized!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal