Author Topic: aminopyralid rears it ugly head again  (Read 13103 times)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
aminopyralid rears it ugly head again
« on: July 18, 2012, 20:25:13 »
recently i notice alot of deformed tomato plant in one of my greenhouses and also some damage to potato plants   around the same time i heard people near me where also been effected by similar problems this got me thinking  so i did a bean test on the manure i got last october from a council run community farm i also did a control test as well and sure enough the manure plants where deformed and control plants are ok .
 before i bought the manure i asked if it was clear of aminopyralid as i am awared they had a problem some years ago and withdrew the manure from sale and i was assured it was clear so i went and bought two loads. BIG MISTAKE
  i made some phone calls to the farm and the council and they arranged a site visit  they came out and took some photographs of my effected plants and admitted that it looked like aminopyralid and promised to get back to me within 2 weeks after consulting the legal department so almost three weeks later i had not heard from them i emailed the person involved within minutes i got a reply back saying sorry for delay  and please  find a letter attached see letter below

if you cannot read the letter please click on direct link to it

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/slyfox-mal/farmletter.jpg

so this is just a warning to you all its still around so be careful 

this matter is still ongoing with the farm i will keep you informed of any progress
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: aminopyralid rears it ugly head again
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 23:09:00 »
It can last a long time in the soil, we have minor curling of leaves in the third growing season.

I must say I am amazed they have actually stated that they cause is Aminopyralid, this is a great step forward.

It would be nice to think that ultimately Dow would have to pay for the damage.

It is so frustrating seeing your crops failing.

I still  think it is a good idea for everyone to test all manure before use. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 23:12:38 »
The Dow website Manure Matters seems to have disappeared. 

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 05:19:45 »
Not a lot of money for all your efforts growing your own, I would be looking for at least a nought on the end of the offer.  ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 18:16:00 »
Manure matters has disappeared because gardeners don't matter to DOW.

Your letter and visit is a step forward but as the manure cannot be dumped at the tip as its contaminated they are supposed to come a take it away for free from you.
If you have  pile left make them do it.

We have aminop damage to tomato plants in season 3 following contamination from manure from animals that grazed Dow sprayed pasture. Its not just one season lost but many.

Sorry that youve had to deal with this literally toxic crap.

Just shows how damaged the link between organic gardening and manure now is becuase of the actions of profit mad gits.

x sunloving

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 19:39:51 »
Hello all.

We have had recent experience of the problem and are just in the process of informing CRD and Dow of our problem. Slyfox I suggest you do the same as we need to keep the profile of this problem high. The so called stewardship is not working.

In fairness the website still exists www.manurematters.co.uk/gardening. but that is basically irrelevant.

Regards

Bluecar

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 17:41:53 »
I just got a 404 not found error.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 18:53:19 »
Hello Robert.

I've just clicked on the link in my post and it goes straight there ??? ??? ???

I have no idea why you can't access it and I can.

Any thoughts folks or results of using the link?

Regards

Bluecar

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 19:01:47 »
When I click on the link the tab initially shows 404 not found then goes to the webpage.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 19:09:44 »
The web site is now working for me.

I hope those with problems will report it.

Will those who suffered in the past please look and see if their crops are now totally free of problems, or whether there is some residual leaf curling.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 19:28:27 »
Can I also suggest that you report these cases to the lady at green allotments, who has been keeping records of these to use in evidence of the continuing problems. Go to http://ossettweather.com/glallotments.co.uk/acmanure.html

I am a bit surprised that the Council are claiming that the contamination came from the straw, as Aminopyralid is not licensed for use on grain  crops in the UK. It is most likely to have come from hay silage fed to the animals over the Winter.

Can I mention the following page for further information on Aminopyralid contamination and instructions on carrying out the bean test :- http://www.growyourown.info/page164.html
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 22:08:37 »
Hello Robert.

I've just clicked on the link in my post and it goes straight there ??? ??? ???

I have no idea why you can't access it and I can.

Any thoughts folks or results of using the link?

Regards

Bluecar

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0126'Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0126'Include file not found

/includes/footer_allagrofooters.inc, line 8

The include file '/scripts/eloqua/eloqua.inc' was not found.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 22:10:19 by grawrc »

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 07:11:13 »
If anyone is affected over the last four years we have had lots of posts with useful advice just search and a wealth of stuff will come up.
such as what you can grow in contaminated ground and what happens when you report the contamination.
good luck
x sunloving

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 19:04:07 »
Got there this time.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 21:16:05 »
Got there this time.
Me too, but I couldn't this morning, although I could get to www.manurematters.com.
  ??

BritBrat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 16:27:40 »

Try http://www.manurematters.co.uk/ without the gardening bit.

BritBrat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 08:23:36 »

Try http://www.manurematters.co.uk/ without the gardening bit.

The website cannot display the page

HTTP 500

It worked yesterday.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 20:03:21 »
just a quick update testerday i got a cheque for £100 off middlesbrough council  50 pounds for manure i bought and 50 pounds compensation for loss of crops and seeds its not been a good year  but at least i got a result without having to fight forever atb mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

RolloP

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 11:40:56 »
 This is a problem that is refusing to go away. This year I have seen damage to a commercial sweetpea crop and damage to wisteria and magnolia established plants. All had been mulched with compost. The sweetpeas and magnolia had cupping of their leaves, the wisteria had leaf distortion ( smaller leaves showing heavy veining ).  In 2008 the problem seemed to be with manure from stables. Now it appears to be associated with green waste compost. It is possible the culprit this time may be Clopyralid. This is closely related to Aminopyralid and also made by Dow AgroSciences. It is used on amenity grass and is available for amateur garden use. I suspect the grass cuttings are being sent for green composting. The symptoms are exactly the same as for Aminopyralid. Broad beans are the most sensitive plant, they are affected at 1 part per billion. It is impossible to say how widespread the problem is but it would be good practice to do a "Bean Test" for each load obtained before using it as a mulch.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:47:43 »
It is interesting what you write and scary to think chemicals might be making it into veg plots kind of by the back door. I read a little while back some councils sell their composted green waste not just to the public but to manufactures too? I don't know if this is the case or how compost manufactures source what they put in to their products, but I wonder how much of a risk this is going to be in the future as companies look to cut costs etc?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal