Author Topic: Thunbergia alata(black eyed susan)  (Read 1966 times)

admjh1

• Half Acre
Thunbergia alata(black eyed susan)
« on: July 10, 2012, 00:23:00 »
 8)I have grown from seed and planted out against wall with trellis they seem to have gotten going eventually, threw the seed packet away so can't remember if they are annual or perennial? Also do I dead head or leave flower heads on to form seeds?
I first saw thus plant at southport flower show and fell I'n love with it's bright pretty flowers
Hopefully somebody can help ? 8)

lizo85

• Not So New ...
Re: Thunbergia alata(black eyed susan)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 21:28:44 »
Hi,

I have grown a couple of these from seed - just waiting to put them outside so that they will start to climb and cover my fence...

I believe that they are a perennial plant.  I think perhaps they're not very hardy.

I don't know about the flowers...I can't find anything about that online and mine aren't near to that point yet, only being 3 inches tall!!! hehe.  At what "age" did you put yours outside?

I'm sure someone else will know exactly what to do!

Liz x

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 00:11:41 »
Hi Liz
Planted them out beginning of June thinking the rain we had in May was over
they have dulled really only just started to grow.I think mine are only about 6 inches at the moment. I pass a coffee shop on way to work in the mornings and they have trellis round the outside seating area and again this year they have it climbing up through the trellis already got many flowers on compared to my one!!!!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 07:57:57 »
They are very tender and plants that went out whilst the air temp was cool will have just sulked.

The warm week we had should make them start to grow however you might want to give them a bit a of a feed so that they have some nitrogen to get those leaves out.

They need sun sun sun and not to sit in wet compost.
Good luck with them. I would dead head for now to encourage the plant not to shut down and keep on growing.

x sunloving

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 22:52:30 »
Thanks sunloving
Will tomato feed help or do you suggest growmore type of feed?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal