Author Topic: tiny white flies on cabbages  (Read 4009 times)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
tiny white flies on cabbages
« on: February 26, 2005, 15:36:19 »
hey there,

i have some left over overwintering cabbages in the allotment. just checked them - a lot of the lower leaves have been eaten by slugs and caterpillars.
but, the higher leaves have a white residue on the underside, and tiny white flies are sitting in sheltered spots on the surface of leaves.

are those cabbage white fly???
if so, what do i do with them?

the cabbage is not for eating anymore - so i can remove it and bin/compost, but how do i ensure the flies disappear?

please help
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re: tiny white flies on cabbages
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 16:34:32 »
Hi Svea, These are  cabbage whitefly  they used to be killed off with frost but they seem to  have been overwintering now on our plot for a couple of years or more..I would spray them with Bug  clear,Cybol or some other pesticide . Then compost em..But sure someone on here will come up with some other ways of killing em..Cheers Jim 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 16:48:32 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 07:18:40 »
I prefer nothing beyond a powerful jet of water. The RHS says -

Non-chemical control
Before cooking, discard outer leaves affected by sooty mould and peel Brussels sprouts to expose a clean surface.

Chemical control
Because brassica leaves are waxy they can be difficult to wet with a spray. If whitefly are a problem use bifenthrin (Scotts Bug Clear, Bio Sprayday Greenfly Killer Plus or Doff All-In-One Garden Pest Killer). Only one application of this insecticide is permitted on brassicas during the growing season. Vegetable oil (Growing Success Bug Killer Concentrate) is an organic control that can be sprayed on to the lower leaf surfaces, or use pyrethrum (Py Spray Garden Insect Killer concentrate).

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 09:20:20 »
hmm, not having neiter any bug spray to hand, nor a powerful jet of water to wash them off (is that just if i wanted to eat the stuff though?) - i think i will cut them down and put them in a binbag :-\

checked in joy larkcom's book last night which said that 'flies/aphids overwinter in the stalks of brassicas. Be sure to clear any remaining plants before they have had time to hatch in early spring' :(

oh well, i know now.
svea

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 09:47:29 »
Yes.

Pity you can't eat them - there must be plenty of clean heart there??

I doubt they'll do much hatching in this weather??

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 20:07:22 »
If they're beyond eating I'd bury them in your compost heap.

Svea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 23:37:34 »
they were already hatched, tim!
and no, those weren't for eating anymore - apart from being covered by thousands of those tiny little flies (which were jumping more than flying when you brushed against them)...they were of plants that had not formed heads or had already been cut. only loose leaf on then, and none too appetising :(

i did bag tham into a black bag and put them in the bin- my compost heap is in its infancy and i dont know what those little flies will survive.

better safe than sorry :-\

svea

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal