Author Topic: REDUCED waiting lists  (Read 5405 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
REDUCED waiting lists
« on: June 12, 2012, 22:48:29 »
When I first started allotment supervisor 3 1/2 years ago, our waiting list was about 5 years.  By implementing a 3 month probation period and only giving out 1/2 plots, waiting list is down to about 1 year.  During probation, tenants only had to clear rubbish and turn over 1/2 of their half plot.  Did not have to be planted up but they needed to show willing.  Some never touched the plot since being issued a gate key so the plot was reallocated at the end of 3 months, other people had moved out of our catchment area, others simply decided they no longer wanted a plot or had got one on another site.

From always having in excess of 50 on our waiting list, the new one I have just received from the council only has 16 prospective tenants on it.  Is anybody else noticing shorter waiting lists now there are less gardening programs on TV?  If the time comes with no waiting list, then existing tenants with only 1/2 plots will be given first offer to take on a full plot.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 22:52:19 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: REDUCED waiting lists
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 22:54:50 »
gosh,I wish! Ours has gone from 20 to 75 since i became sec three years ago! I reckon thats partly due to the website and email address I set up..its a lot easier to get on the list now,prior to that folk had to find the phone number via the council,or visit the site
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 23:06:12 »
Well, in just over 2 years I went from something like 73rd, then last year 52nd, and then this year 5th!  And I got my half-plot just about 6 weeks ago. 

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 23:13:04 »
Well, in just over 2 years I went from something like 73rd, then last year 52nd, and then this year 5th!  And I got my half-plot just about 6 weeks ago. 

I can't see me being able to get half of it dug in another 6 weeks.  I worked out today (and I was there from 10.30-4 pm.) that I have dug approximately 1/33rd of the plot.  It's really hard going, with lots of glass and assorted rubbish to remove.  And of course the rain hasn't helped.  Someone lent me some large sheets of black plastic today, which will help the weeds to stop growing until I can get to each area. The council let out about 12 plots all at the same time, but most people are only just getting their keys this week, so they have no chance!  There's a 3 month probation period here too, but I think with the weather and lateness of getting keys for most people that they might be lenient on that.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 06:04:18 »
We have steady 15-20 on our waiting lists and that number had stayed same for years. When it comes letting plots out there is always people on it that we cannot contact anymore or they've changed their minds.. ::) Generally you get a plot withing couple of years..though I did hear recently that there is rumour about that our site that you don't get a plot unless somebody dies first.. :o ::) Well..not that far from truth. Majority of our allotment holders are old chaps that have had their plots for yeeeeears..and as long as there is breath left in their lungs they won't give up... ;D
What I find odd is that their families seldom help their grandads to cultivate (or is it case that they are not allowed?) but ones the evitable happens that the family is given option to 'inherite' the plot they often do so...perharps that is why people around here think that our plots are hard to come by.

We do our main inspection in mid-July..that is to give folk to plenty of time to show their willingness to work their plots regardless of what weather might have been. By then there is no excuse for 'bad weather' and soon after that inspection we send the letters that might need to be done...usually not many two or three and odd one to remind about the undone hedges.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 07:36:58 »
Our waiting list has been shut for over two years due to huge numbers.  This year it got down to single figures so we opened it again for a set period of two months.
We had 41 applicants! We only have 68 plots and we turn over around three a year on average.  So thats 13 years waiting right there in only two months..
If it was open permanently we would have 100s on the list...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 08:18:55 »
we keep our list open so the council have a true reflection on the demand for plots...breaks my heart speaking to these poor souls and having to say they could be waiting up to eight years...funnily enough,I always suggest they join a community growing group in the meantime to get started....to a man they say they havnt got the time!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

chriselst

• Quarter Acre
    • AHAA
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:53:30 »
We have a new site that is only about half full at the moment.

Last spring a local farmer turned a spare field into 100 allotments, and they flew of the shelf untaken plot plan(?) so he did the same with part of another field.

This field is not so good though, less attractive location, and quite stoney.  Although it is flat.

Plots are 50 foot by 20 foot, £50 a year with free water and manure.  We're paying £100 a year at the first site.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 08:07:31 »
Our site currently has 56 plots of varying sizes, the average being around 5 poles.

The waiting list went from zero in 2004 to around 25 in 2009 (roughly 20 in parish and 5 from outside) and back to zero (or close to it) by 2012.

We have quite a few young mums. In the vast majority of cases their partners are not interested and provide little or no assistance. I think that the word got round that having an allotment was a lot harder work than they thought, and hence a reduction in applications for a plot from this quarter.

We have had a high turnover over the last couple of years. 8 plots changed hands over the winter and early spring ... 6 deciding that it was not for them and 2 for reasons of ill-health. In the previous year 11 changed hands although on this occasion 6 (I think) were moving away from the area.

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 23:16:24 »
With regards waiting lists, at the moment with the councils cutting back on sites nationally there will always be long lists even by half or quarter plotting the sites.

But with regards turning over a half plot, it should only take half a day if you are reasonably fit and possibly a week if not.

Digmore

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 23:50:03 »
Well Digmore, I can tell you that it has taken me approximately 24 hours over a period of about 6 very wet weeks to dig an area about 10 metres by 2 and a half metres.  Obviously I have not been there every day, as I have other duties to perform, and when I have had the opportunity to go, the weather has often been against me.  I am a 61 year old female, very fit but also slow and thorough.  I like to try and remove every weed, bit of root and piece of glass, rusty nail and bit of rubbish.  The many sacks full of weeds and glass etc are doing a good job of weighing down the black plastic on the rest of the half plot. The plot had been abandoned for 7 years.  Maybe a nice clean half plot could be dug in a week, but half a day, I think not!  By the way, my half plot measures aprox. 33 x7 metres.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 07:37:40 »
The trouble with abandoned allotments is also the weeds.  I took on an extra 1/4 which was allowed to go to weed for less than a year and the weeds are terrible.  I hate to think of the effect of 7 years of neglect. 

Sounds as if you are doing a good thorough job.   I would start planting as well as digging, so you soon have something to show for your efforts.

When I started I left wide paths which the foliage filled, but I had no weeds only concrete like soil.

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 07:49:56 »
That's exactly where the problem lies in some cases - waiting for years for a plot abandoned 7 years ago.  ::)

good luck GM, you are doing a great job! and the weather is not helping.

Back to the original post- I have noticed a lot less activity regarding the waiting list this year, usually in March and April I can be getting a couple of new people a week, this year very few. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 08:19:38 »
We have a steady trickle of new people on site.  Waiting list very low, as soon as someone wants one steps are taken to pursuade someone to admit defeat and give up.   

So the person who came on open afternoon a few weeks ago is now well stuck in.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 09:29:01 »
New people turned up this week. Now clearing one of last years 'abandoned again' plots. Typical weed filled mess now looking much more like an allotment but with 2 people they cleared an 8th of a half allotment. Saw then in the shop on the way out......
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 09:34:18 »
Thank you for the encouragement.  I have been planting as I have cleared-sweet corn, squash, cabbage, turnip, French and runner beans, and green manure (lupins).  Yesterday

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 16:00:20 »
......oops, pressed send before I'd finished my sentence........my new neighbours turned up and they made short work of the weeds and brambles with a petrol strimmer.....maybe the person who lent it to them will lend it to me.......

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 16:38:28 »
Our site has about 60 plots most at 10 pole and about 1/4 are 5 pole (half plot). About 3 years ago there were over 20 on the list. It went down to zero a few months ago as there was a crack on on long-term non-cultivators so the list got cleared as new people came onto the site. There are about 4/5 on the list now. We also have a 3 month trial procedure. I can see it going back up again as most of our plots are well kept and I doubt many people will leave in the near future.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal