Author Topic: Compost question  (Read 2755 times)

cacran

• Hectare
Compost question
« on: June 21, 2012, 18:42:56 »
I have a couple of great compost heaps which this year have produced all the compost I need. There is a problem though,  It seems to favour weeds. I suspect the seeds are in the compost and come to fruition when I reuse the stuff. Is there anything I can do about this?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Compost question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 19:01:25 »
I think the only real way is to heat treat or make sure your compost gets up to a high enough temp when composting.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 16:42:42 »
How would I go about that?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 19:11:21 »
How would I go about that?

Very much doubt if you ever will.
Comercal compost piles heat up to over 65deg they obtain this by turning it on a regular basis so it is regenerating heat all the time.
Our garden compost heaps at best will only get up to 45 deg at the warmest point which is not hot enough to kill off all that goes in.
Weed seeds can take up to seven years to germinate so its just another gardening setback you have to tolerate
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 22:54:50 »
Some weeds such as fat hen and goose grass (cleavers) seem to be able to survive,  more or less whatever you do.  I put in grass clippings and plunge the weed into the middle once it has heated up.  Tomatoes and cucumbers also seem to survive even commercial recycling.

I suppose the other answer is to put the weeds into the compost before they flower.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 23:32:47 »
Some weeds such as fat hen and goose grass (cleavers) seem to be able to survive,  more or less whatever you do.  I put in grass clippings and plunge the weed into the middle once it has heated up.  Tomatoes and cucumbers also seem to survive even commercial recycling.

I suppose the other answer is to put the weeds into the compost before they flower.

Yes the best answer as Digeroo says, is not to put any flowering weeds into the compost, I don't even put flowering veg waste in as some will continue to grow and set their seed unless the temperature is really high.

Ninny

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:54 »
I didn't know that composting was anything other than throwing it all in a heap and turning it occasionally. I think I will just put up with the weeds. Thanks for all the advice though.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 14:14:06 »
Cacran you don't even have to turn it, I don't! 
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 14:18:27 »
Just to realy make your day on composting weeds  not all weed need to flower to give of seeds.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 16:06:03 »
I am putting milk thistles and fat hen in to compost at the moment but take off the flower heads first.  Not much of the fat hen is flowering yet, and I is pretty dark and warm in the dalek so I do not expect them to flower.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 11:00:18 »
This technique works for me:
Put any "noxious" weeds first into a black bin bag and leave it in full sun for a few weeks. You will then find that the bag contains a kind of sludgy grassy mass (it may pong a it!). Chuck that into the compost so it can finish decomposing.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal