Author Topic: Another full Smith period  (Read 8450 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Another full Smith period
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 13:44:04 »
If they start rotting you can still make chutney if you're quick. I'm getting emails about Smith periods every couple of days. No blight yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 14:25:05 »
Only 4 Full Smith periods in the last 7 days  ::) Must be because it didn't rain all day Sunday!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 01:11:55 »
All my toms and potatoes have been blighted. Ripped up all 15 tomato plants and cut down all the potatoes. We didn't get to eat one tomato  :'(

did you save the green tomatoes?  They will ripen on the windowsill and be ok to eat.

But only if they ripen before the blight develops on them....if not they develop an unpleasant taste as they brown.

A few years back, when I had a really bumper tomato crop hit by blight, I acted quickly collecting the fruit at the first signs of blight on the leaves. We made chutney and tomato sauce but even then we had to throw loads of fruit away as the infection had spread in through the skins and discoloured them. They tasted sleepy and unpleasant. Beware....if infected they will not last.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:13:45 by Aden Roller »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 15:40:30 »
All my toms and potatoes have been blighted. Ripped up all 15 tomato plants and cut down all the potatoes. We didn't get to eat one tomato  :'(

did you save the green tomatoes?  They will ripen on the windowsill and be ok to eat.

But only if they ripen before the blight develops on them....if not they develop an unpleasant taste as they brown.

A few years back, when I had a really bumper tomato crop hit by blight, I acted quickly collecting the fruit at the first signs of blight on the leaves. We made chutney and tomato sauce but even then we had to throw loads of fruit away as the infection had spread in through the skins and discoloured them. They tasted sleepy and unpleasant. Beware....if infected they will not last.

Not my experience, but I find that I have to be really quick to catch them in order to save them.  One day's delay and many of them are lost.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 23:07:08 »
All potato haulms cut down today, and tom plants almost leafless now. Spots on aubergine leaves so took off the bottom ones of those too.

Ninny

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 20:04:51 »
Earlies and Charlottes dug up
Most of the Kestrels dug up with the rest cut down to a halulm stump
Keeping an eye on the mains with a few branch leafs taken off here and there.
 ::) ::) ::)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal