Author Topic: new to chillies...when do I pick them.  (Read 2598 times)

Hazelb

• Half Acre
new to chillies...when do I pick them.
« on: June 29, 2012, 15:53:02 »
I'm the gardener, but hubby is growing chillies. that means I water, pot them on and pollinate them  ::)

i've never grown chillies before. We have Habaneros, Nargas, ring of fire and prairie hot.

The last two types already have nice chillies forming on them, the others are just about flowering.

When to we pick them? I realise they won't go red/yellow like tomatoes, so how can you tell when they are ready to pick?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: new to chillies...when do I pick them.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 16:33:07 »
Oh they will go red or yellow or any variety of colour depending on make and model so to speak.  Generally speaking you can pick them when you want to but it is worth waiting for ripeness as I find heat and flavour deepen over the Summer - if we have one!
But take one or two as you like and you will get a feeling for how they taste and how the taste changes over time.

I am growing black chilis this year and although they look tempting, I haven't tried any yet!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 16:54:55 »
..and add to that..although the chillies maybe already full size, they will take weeks to ripen up to the final colour.
So don't despair when they won't change from green for ages.. ::)..they will when they are ready.

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 14:04:56 »
Thanks for the info. I've checked the seed packets, some say wait until the chillies change colour, other packets aren't quite as helpful.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal