Author Topic: Peppers  (Read 2464 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Peppers
« on: June 19, 2012, 07:26:28 »
Can anyone help, what is the difference between chilli powder, paprika and cayenne pepper.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Re: Peppers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 20:12:58 »
Paprika is dried, ground peppers, the stuff we get in the UK is mild but hot variations do exist. It's most likely a blind of different sweet peppers but the hot stuff will have chilli in there too. .

Chilli powder is a blend of different dried, powdered chillis, sometimes with other spices added in.

Cayenne pepper is the dried, ground powder from the Cayenne chilli pepper.

Taste-wise, paprika I find about useful as a red colouring but I can't really notice any appreciable flavour. I have tried a smoky paprika that was quite flavoursome.

Chilli powder obviously varies in flavour depending on the blend.

Cayenne pepper is hot, clean and strong in flavour.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 21:20:11 »
This is a very good paprika, they do a sweet and a hot one , both packed with lovely smokiness. Excellent flavour!

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Richardton

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:15 »
I still put paprika on top of lots of things I bake in the oven (potatoes etc) but I still have no idea why, it really has no strong flavour. I made some chilli powder from last years chillis and that has some kick, and wonderful flavours.

Think I will buy some smoky paprika, never tried it before

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 13:57:55 »
I think you have to have a fairly heavy hand when using paprika. I do like the flavour and a good heaped teaspoon or two goes into a bolognese sauce for pasta. I also use it in a Castilean garlic soup that a Spanish friend gave me that is a fast lunchtime favourite in cold weather. I put sweet, hot and smoked paprika in that.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 15:03:24 »
The picture of the paprika I posted above has loads of flavour. ....regular paprika has very little flavour. the above pictured brand is available in Sainsburys and you do not have to be heavy handed with it.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 15:13:41 »
I think you have to have a fairly heavy hand when using paprika. .

Yep..and not only that..like with chillies, flavour will stick better into fat so little 'pre frying/cooking in a drop of oil before adding other incredients will intensify the paprika flavour.
If added later on during cooking you will need use much more to get best out of it unless the food is very fatty/oily.

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 16:16:36 »
I didn't mention my paprika comes from Spain where my daughter lives and works so I may be spoilt. I agree about the fat soluble flavours but the delicate flavour is easily burnt so it goes into the olive oil at the last moment before liquids are added.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal