Author Topic: I just bought a dehydrator  (Read 2678 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I just bought a dehydrator
« on: June 23, 2012, 20:27:00 »
 Is anyone into drying stuff. It is about 20 years since I last  did so things may have changed.

I bought a 9 tray fan assisited Excalibur which I know is available over there so maybe someone has one??

I have heard it is the best thing for kale chips which I have done in the oven.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: I just bought a dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 21:12:22 »
I have been thinking of buying one so I would be really interested in what you think of yours Jeannine.

duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 21:20:11 »
Duke, I did a lot of research and this one came out tops. It was not cheap but it has a fan at the back which is best and the trays slide out of the front like drawers.

I had an old Excaliber many years ago , in fact so long ago I have forgotten a lot about it but it did work fine.

I have another one, round, with trays that sit on top of each other and no fan but I think it is useless , everything I tried in it came out wrong so it is stuck in storage now, it was a secondhand cheapie.

This one is rated pretty high of you do some investigating.

I am going to try it with bananas this week.

Ilove homemade jerky so am hoping to get good results with that.

XX Jeannine

This is mine, well m ine is black but thus is the UK site

http://www.detoxyourworld.com/acatalog/excalibur_9.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 21:25:33 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 18:12:23 »
Hi Jeannine I bought the Excalibur 9 tray late last year and so far have done beef-pork and ox heart jerky-onion powder-fruit leathers,this year I want to try drying tomatoes-garlic-carrots-swede-celery and whatever as I also have a vita-mix to buzz them into powder or blitz them raw to a mush as I want to try to make my own powdered soups and crackers to snack on,I also bought off ebay a mandoline slicer to get everything as thin as possible,just need to make myself a diy jerky gun as the snacking sticks seen on the net might be a little more gentle on me old gums
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 21:14:02 »
I want to play around this summer with making a passive solar dryer from cardboard boxes! I reckon one box with slotted shelves fed from beneath with an airflow from a shallow tray covered with clear plastic on a tilt to the sun, maybe even with a tallish flue on top to encourage a flow. If I get round to doing it, I'll report back.
I've tried drying tomatoes in the past with poor results until I read about washing them in vinegar. It really did prevent moulds last year and I got two jars of sun dried tomatoes last September in the open on grids. Once dried, they went under hot oil, again to prevent moulds and I am still snipping them up into salads, I had some yesterday. I grow the Roma type for drying. If anyone knows better varieties I will try them next year

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 22:06:02 »
Sounds good Buster. Can you get the liquid smoke flavour where you are that you would use on your jerky.

I used to have a Vitamix before I went over to the Uk for 8 years and let ot go..good machine.

My Kenwood Mayor and attchments handles pretty much all I need to do now.

Tosh, good luck with your home made one, it should be fine except for meats which need a more standard drying time.

Has anyone made kale chips in ther dryer. I have done them in the oven but not the dryer yet.

XX Jeannine

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 22:18:50 »
Yes Jeannine seen the liquid smoke flavour on Amazon and Ebay here in the UK upto now I have been using hot n spicy - chinese and barbecue dry marinades on my meat and store the jerky in vacuum sealer bags
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal