Author Topic: Black/Redcurrant Standards - advice pls?  (Read 1562 times)

irridium

• Acre
Black/Redcurrant Standards - advice pls?
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:30:43 »
got myself some of black and redcurrant standards as they were reduced and had 15% yesterday in Homebase, and am wondering how to take care of them. Originally, I grew the aldi/Lidl packs of twigs last year on the lotti but they didn't grow for me in the end (were dead twigs) and I've been on the lookout for better replacements. I've not come across standards before as I thought they only come as bushes. They're 5.5' tall now and have few berries on (tho' that may be due to them either being eaten by previous customers or from the restricted growth in the pots...) on about 4/5 branches (total no. of branches).

Do I plant them out now altho' I have good loamy soil. I've read that they shouldn't be planted if conditions are wet. Also, how do I take cuttings of these and keep the shape in check whilst maximising yield?

thanks in advance, ;D

Ps. I've had to send a request to c/serv to find out the varieties of these so that I could find out the habits of these plants.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Black/Redcurrant Standards - advice pls?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 10:13:44 »
Cuttings won't be any different to normal blackcurrants.... it's a way of shaping them but it does take a few years to establish.... good thing with stnadards is that a greaseband will stop the sawfly....

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 18:13:03 »
thanks for replying CC. Didn't know about the greasebands (is there a cheaper, DIY method than buying these?)
shall i just plant them now altho' the soil is rather soggy (we've just had heavy rain all day today but torrential downpour earlier) ? now they're already fruiting, do i prune these now or do i wait till Aut.?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 19:51:02 »
YOu cn get paint-on grease too... don't jsut use engine grease though, it wants to be the proper stuff...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 19:57:27 »
You can make DIY grease bands by wrapping some grease proof paper around the stem..tie it on with string and paint it with vaselin..you might want to keep it somewhere warm first that it is easy to apply..GH or even you pocket will do as body heat is enough to soften it up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal