Author Topic: fed up no sleep!  (Read 9330 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
fed up no sleep!
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:31:59 »
We have been busy this last week with or garden and Lotty we are out 6hrs or more sometimes I go to the Lotty after tea for another 2hr watering etc,get home shower and go to bed around 9 read,or on computer,have a wee cup of tea at 10 then try for sleep I think by 11 am out ,then 1-30 am awake, that's me all night I may as well get up and do house work ,but don't want to wake OH up am pig sick, I'd love 1nights sleep for 7hrs on the trot anyone else suffer this s----, I will still get to the Lotty and weed I keep thinking if i get very tired i will get a goodnights sleep  ???

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: fed up no sleep!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:44:42 »
Perharps you keeping yourself too busy? Maybe tireing your body with work has opposite effect, instead of giving you a goodnight sleep, it just kicks in too much 'busy body hormones' that prevent you from sleeping. Are you able to let your body to get 'bored' instead of opting to do something when not able to sleep? Even if you are not sleeping is vital for you health to rest..physically not doing anything.
I don't usually suffer with not able to sleep..but there has been periods in past that reminds me of similar experiences and it is not nice.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:35:27 »
I agree with Goodlife, maybe you are over-tired and your body and mind just can't wind down?

I go to bed quite early, around 10ish and sometimes wake up at 2, thinking it's time to get up.  I stay in bed till about 4 and then get up, luckily I do love the early mornings.  :)

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:41:07 »
I swear by magnesium supplements. something like osteocare. Magnesium helps to relax the whole body muscles etc. Alot of women are low in magnesium but do some of your own research on this first.
It works for me when I can't sleep.

Duke
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:44:17 by Duke Ellington »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:30:44 »
You do not say your age, I always slept well until a certain age. Then I went for about four years with only a couple of hours each night, I was not in a very good state mentally during that time! And as I drive at work it was not good or safe.
I still get  an odd night when I cannot sleep, mainly due to the blackbirds singing at 4 am. Anyway my tips include a "wind down period" at night, Bath with lavender oil then I spin or knit during this time. No computer, but watch telly-something relaxing or daft ( Midsommer Murders type). No tea after 7ish. a small drink of wine.
Snoring partners can be overcome by an MP3 type player playing whatever you find relaxes you - for me it is radio 4, it doesn't have to be loud, just enough to give the brain and ears something to focus on other than the snores!
(That said I was on the sofa from four this morning!) 
good luck, it is so debilitating.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:32:17 by pumpkinlover »

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:34:00 »
Do not go to bed until you are ready to sleep.
Do have a wind down time, but do it in a room other than the bedroom, so if you normally go to sleep at 11pm then don't go to bed till 11pm.
Sweet dreams.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

chriselst

• Quarter Acre
    • AHAA
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 11:02:52 »
I have always slept very little, this was not a problem when I was younger, but as I got older it is harder to cope with.

Recently I have been following the pattern you describe, getting to sleep easily enough but then waking up after 2 or 3 hours and being unable to get back to sleep again.

When I was younger I just didn't know how to get to sleep, and it could take hours.  I'd often still be awake reading at 4, 5, or 6 in the morning.

To sleep you need your body to be tired and your mind to be relaxed.

The exercise should help with the body, but it is important not to exercise too late before going to sleep.  Try a bath rather than a shower as a shower wakes up the body and mind (something to do with the flow of ions in the water), whilst a bath relaxes.

Don't do anything too mentally stimulating before going to bed, don't do puzzles or games, if you read (and I do before going to sleep) make sure it is something light that you do not have to think too heavily about.  Also anything weighing heavily on your mind will not help.

And do not go to bed unless you are tired.  You should only do two things in bed, and one of them is sleeping.  I have spent the last week or so going to bed later and later, waiting until I am really, really tired.  This has helped me sleep through til morning, although I am still only getting up to 5 hours sleep it is a massive improvement on the 2 or 3.

And now for a quick story from when I was younger;

When I was 19 and at university I was having real problems getting to sleep, and it was becoming a problem, so I went to see the doctor to ask for advice rather than drugs.

He went through a few things, and then said "Try having more sex".

Oh brilliant, "try having more sex".

I was a 19 year old male, at university, I spent almost every waking moment 'trying' to have more sex.  And as I was an insomniac that was more than most.  I doubt there was anyone alive trying to have more sex than I was.

It is not as if he gave me a prescription, or even a note I could show to girls.

"Try having more sex" indeed.

What's next I wondered. "Remember, keep breathing"?

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 12:25:44 »
Hello chriselst,

Sounds like you have a circadian rhythm sleep disorder.

I have SAD (seasonal affective disorder).
During the winter I manage it by being woken by a sunrise simulator, and then have half an hour exercise in front of a very bright light, (and a few antidepressants as well).

The exercise/light keeps my circadian rhythm in check, so I actually sleep better in the winter that I do in the summer.

Have you tried/considered anything like that?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

chriselst

• Quarter Acre
    • AHAA
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:33:26 »
A quick read on Wiki and that does sound like me.  I've never managed to naturally fit sleep into a 24 hour period.

When I was younger I would sleep for an hour or two in the week when I was forced to get up for school, then up to 12 or 13 hours at the weekend if left.

I can cope quite happily on 4 or 5 hours sleep most nights, which is what I am now up to so it isn't a problem for me unless I am dropping down below 4 hours a night for a week or more.

Last year things got much better when I was regularly on the allotment, because of the exercise I assume, but there is so little good weather this year that I am not benefiting from that yet.

Cannabis before bed used to help, but I'm not sure it was a good long term solution and it's been quite a few years now.  ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 13:32:40 »
I need my sleep & fall apart without it. When I first got ME 18 years ago I went for 18 months catnapping day & night. I slept in the spare bed so as not to disturb OH who was working then. I'd had a cough for the 18 months saw a homeopath who sorted the cough out & I slept again ;D. I still have periods where I don't sleep or wake early hours ::).
Perhaps cutting out caffeine say at midday might help. OH always amazes me if he gets up because he can't sleep he makes himself a coffee :o ::). Valerian is supposed to be good for sleep.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 14:47:07 »
I do agree with the "once you feel tired, go to bed, but don't go to bed until you are tired" theory Do you sleep in the dark? I mean is there sufficient difference between night and day light levels?

DO you have an iPod or smartphone? There are a lot of apps that you can get like "Sleep cycle" - put them under your pillow at night and they will monitor your sleep cycles - the idea is that they set off your alarm at the "ideal" time, but it is also a good way to monitor how you are sleeping. Your cycles may be a little mixed up.

There are lots of herbal remedies, it may be worth looking into...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 15:09:50 »
Try and think back to why you got a guilty concience, put that right and bingo! a good nights sleep.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 15:15:04 »
As a diabetic I thought all my nocturnal trips to the loo were due to the diabetes.  But after long and in depth consideration, I've come to the conclusion it is muscular pains in my shoulders and arms that was waking me up and "As I'm awake, I may as well have a wee".

I think I'm coming down with Arthur Ritis or Screwmatics.  I hope not, Mam had it and her hands finally ended up looking like claws, but it never stopped her knitting, tapestry work, embroidery and some types of needlework I don't have a name for.  

The local T.V. station sent a team round and filmed her 'managing' with her ailments.  I wish I had a copy of that short piece of film.  I have a son who never saw his Granny.

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 16:25:12 »
No caffeine at least two hours before you go to bed.   :-\
A sex note from the doctor, I might try that one.   :P     ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 16:27:38 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 18:12:25 »
An interesting thread. I have the same kind of problem, Claybasket, and hve had for years- no problem getting to sleep, but can't stay asleep. I keep thinking of going to the doctor, but as I don't have any other symptoms i think i'll just get fobbed off. I've tried most of the suggestions in this thread but I'll certainly look up magnesium.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 18:48:56 »
Lack of magnesium can affect your muscles which can result in disturbed sleep, particularly if you have had an active day.
Try taking a couple of ibuprofen, see if that helps you sleep, as that will counteract the effect of the lack of magnesium.
If the ibuprofen does not help, then it is unlikely to be a lack of magnesium, but if they do help then it is worth giving magnesium supplements a try.

For us blokes, when looking for magnesium supplements in tescos, you will find them under supplements for women.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 18:55:03 by Chrispy »

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 20:12:56 »
I think there could be problems with dosages. Some cheap supplements will have a low dose in them others could be a lot higher. There is a healing dose which is often much higher than the recommended one. I hope that makes sense ;D. My daughter takes magnesium & swears by it too. I wish I could take it but with supplements I get terrible indigestion. It's amatriptyline for me in a low dose ;D.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 20:22:41 »
Thanks all for the advice, am,I drink coffee during the night when lying awake ,I find the brain won't switch off ,but will stop the coffee and put the computer away early , and the Magnesium sounds good .Its surprising how many pepole are suffering with this ,and its amazing all the help pepole have giving me your all so kind the more  sex thing sounds good if I can remember what its all about  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 21:21:06 »
We went caffeine free when my blood pressure was sky high. My brain goes fizzy if I have any now. I will have a cup if I need to stay awake during the day but, if I have more than one, I wake at about 2 a.m and have to read for hours  :)

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 21:31:25 »
I am reading the book and using the CD of Anxiety Free: Stop Worrying and Quieten Your Mind - The Only Way to Oxygenate Your Brain and Stop Excessive and Useless Thoughts Featuring the Buteyko Breathing Method and Mindfulness (The title is enough to send you to sleep  ;D).

It is about how to quieten your mind by controlling your breathing.
It seems to work, but the problem with any of these type of CDs is they all tend to work for a while because they give your mind something new to think about, but this only lasts so long.

It's early days, but I will stick with it for now and see how I get on, but I will need to give it a month or so before I can tell if it is good or not.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal