Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 8474 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Two questions
« on: June 19, 2012, 20:47:01 »
Picked some strawberries, not quite ripe, but going ripe on window cill, have one pound, so want to make some jam tomorrow.  Picked a few redcurrants to go into the jam, but do I need to buy lemons or use bottled lemon juice to get it to set.  Can I use the strawberries that are not quite ripe tomorrow.  The other question is my friend at the allotment gave me some broad beans, not sure if they are quite ready as tasted one and it tasted a bit bitter.  Do I boil them, fry them, whatever, couldn't bear to bin them, never eaten broad beans before but didn't like to say no, and don't want to waste them.

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 22:51:58 »
Boil the beans briefly, add butter and squeeze of lemon, perfection.

Make strawberry jam, possibly with an apple for the pectin to help it set. Redcurrants would also help.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 22:59:38 »
Thanks for that, will get a lemon for jam and beans, have a go tomorrow, off to bed now.  ;D ;D

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 23:11:04 »
Never eaten broad beans????   They are a delicacy - especially at this time of year.  If you ate them raw then that is a bit of an acquired taste although not unheard of.

Boil them for five minutes or so with a bit of salt.  They are are like new peas in the early summer - slightly bitter yes - but also sweet and green tasting, my kids just snaffled the whole lot off our allotment.  They are truly one of the most delicious things you can have from home-growing when they're fresh.

Cheers

Squeezy

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:04:29 »
If you are a newbie to jam making, go to Tesco and buy a bottle of liquid Certo, your jam will set beautifully if you use it and follow the recipe that comes with it, you don't have to boil and boil and it is more or less foolproof so drop dead easy.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:13:32 »
I eat my broadies raw in a salad - not too many in one go but they are nice in oil, lime salt and pepper.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:36:35 »
I only like very young -only a bit bigger than a peas sized broad beans- or larger ones with the skin pealed off,leaving the smaller centre which is nicer and sweeter. fiddly and doesnot leave you with as much produce!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:00:12 »
I think B'beans do have a certain sharp/strong/bitter taste to them, more so raw. Perhaps they are the marmite of the veg world? Happily I love the taste. One of my favourite ways is plain and simple boiled or steamed for a few mins and served just with a little butter - so good  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:14:27 »
I love their vivid green colour when the skin is peeled off! I eat them steamed then mixed with cherry tomatoes grilled with some thyme and a splash of olive oil. wicked!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:36:06 »
Mmmmm that sounds good  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:32 »
I'm with grawrc on this one, peel the sage green colour outside off to reveal the tasty bean inside, much better.

;)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:52 »
Strawberry jam?
I'm pretty sure we used "jam sugar" which had a setting agent included. Easier for small quantities of fruit and we used the microwave which was quick as well as amazingly fool-proof.

Broadbeans?
Young, steamed or boiled - no salt or butter but truly brilliant!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 14:08:45 »
I blend up cooked broadies and use them as a soup base.

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 14:51:04 »

Had to smile at this post.Just returned from allotment with grandson. We picked strawberries these were really ripe and sooo juicy as you bit into them the juice ran down your chin onto your t shirt.Your hands were covered in juice as well but that was ok cos you could wipe them on your t shirt too. I also picked broad beans these were also lovely and could be eaten straight from the pod   and made your hands go green. Yes that's right no strawberries for me  and a handfull of beans which he took into nursery to let his friends try. He also went into nursery covered in strawberry juice as I didn't have a spare T shirt  this was after being told by his mum that he needed to keep clean this morning as they were doing something special  at nursey. Oh well another black mark!!

At least we know he likes broad beans and strawberries!!!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 22:30:09 »
Well I couldn't find jam sugar in any of the local shops so just used ordinary sugar and juice of one lemon and a handful of redcurrants that were ripe, and just had my first sample on brown bread, and it was very good, gave a taster to OH and even the old moaning old man liked it, and it set, so may go and have another slice of bread and jam.  ;D ;D

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 23:06:38 »
just use ordinary sugar,whatever weight of fruit you are using,use the same amount of sugar,dint have the heat on too high to begin with or the sugar will burnjust keep adding the sugar bit by bit until it has all dissolved,keep stirring all the time,once it has thickened up you will be able to tell if its going to set by scooping some onto a spoon then let it drop back into the pan,i have used this method for a few years now and it works OK for me.
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 14:49:18 »
Jam Sugar (if needed) = *esco.

We made strawberry jam in the microwave - speedy and good for small quantities without tons of washing up afterwards. Just needs a careful eye and a bit by bit approach to the on/off button.

I leave it to my rather talented OH.....although she did let me have a little play at it last year.  ;)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 17:36:41 »
Re broad beans, my Dr Hessayon book says to pick the first pods when they are 2-3" long and cook them whole. I did this and didn't really like the taste of the pods, so maybe i'll add lemon next time. Any other suggestions for flavouring?

Allotment-junkie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 07:47:23 »
Re broad beans, my Dr Hessayon book says to pick the first pods when they are 2-3" long and cook them whole. I did this and didn't really like the taste of the pods, so maybe i'll add lemon next time. Any other suggestions for flavouring?

they must have meant "French or Runner Beans" dont know of anyone eating Broadie Pods  ???

Lilyholland

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 08:20:17 »
Re broad beans; I think they are horrible cooked whole, whatever Hessayon says, ignore it! I pod them and steam with a good handful of dill chopped up. There is a delicious Middle Eastern dish where you cook basmatti rice and when it is just done, throw in a big handful of chopped dill, as many broad beans as you like and a big thingy of butter. Let the beans steam in the last little bit of rice water that is still evaporating off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal