Author Topic: Why Do We Bother?  (Read 15240 times)

bruno

• Not So New ...
Why Do We Bother?
« on: June 19, 2012, 18:35:11 »
Blight (again), Allium Leaf Miner, Rain, Cold, slugs etc. not the best year so far !!! Is it all worth it   ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Why Do We Bother?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 18:40:55 »
It's the weather which has got to me. I've never seen such miserable broadies, and everything else is about a month late.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 19:30:26 »
To right and another cool windy weekend ahead!!

Am planning for what jobs to do in the autumn now.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 20:02:29 »
garlic very rusty and leaves drooping so I lifted today and tidied them up to dry in the garage. They look fine but I doubt they will store well now. Squashes and courgettes just sit there and are doing no growing at all. I have never had such sparse and pathetic broad beans.

It is such blooming hard going and soul destroying this year

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 20:20:09 »
At least the temperature's supposed to be up in the mid-teens for the next week at least. Something other than weeds might actually grow.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 20:51:33 »
My broad beans are best ever, the other kinds of beans are really  struggling.  So much better today.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 21:23:19 »
Why do we do ut, cos we like the challenge of growing, takes us back to our roots..so to speak. I am hoping we we will all talk about the awful season of 2012 in a few years when things are all bright and beautiful again.

Sadly our minds live in the here and now and it is miserable like this I agree, but ut has to change.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 21:38:29 »
Obsession.......spent the day on the lottie.............soggy strawbs...........Courgettes just about staying in there.

No sign of my peas or beans.

Good thing is met some really nice people.....had offers to help me make a fruit cage......you can;t get kinder than that.

So many slugs and snails was picking em up with my fingers..........sticky buggers.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 04:10:50 »
We got a break in the rain today and went but we gave up, the raised beds were Ok but the paths were a stinking mess of fermenting staw that was actually bubbling, it was like the muck that you see cows and pigs in.

I refused to let John build the hoop house standing in that, it seemed insanitary to me.

On the good side, the raised beds were growing well, the peas were just loving it and depite the rain the second lot of beans were up three inches.

It was us that was not enjoying it !!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 06:35:50 »
..because when we get it right and results and tasty and plentyfull it is best feeling ever.. ;D
And what else would we do with our 'spare' time than plan all the good things ahead....prepare the ground for it and then 'playing' with the seeds and plants.
It is not all about the 'end' but the journey in between too.. ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 08:04:42 »
The first lot of broad beans sown in feb are great second lot sown in april are rubbish.Squash just sitting waiting for some sun.Beans have had to be sown over again.
Its a good job that we remember the good times when we had an abundance. Look forward to next year.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 08:08:40 »
The first lot of broad beans sown in feb are great second lot sown in april are rubbish.Squash just sitting waiting for some sun.Beans have had to be sown over again.
Its a good job that we remember the good times when we had an abundance. Look forward to next year.

My second sowing of squash are rubbish.  Hopefully after this upcoming rubbish weekend things will.improve.

gypsy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 08:44:26 »
I thought it was just me struggling to grow anything this year. All my ridge cucumbers wilted and died, the courgettes are looking a bit limp too. The early potatoes are very slow growing. The only things growing well are the strawberries, they are my 3 year old grandson's favourite!

Hazelb

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 09:18:18 »
IT is a bad year!

I was very grumpy on the lottie at the weekend when I saw what the slugs had done to my french beans!!! The only thing that 'had' been growing well!

The only thing doing well are onions...potatoes and garlic...

....fingers crossed for no blight!!!

Carrots still refusing to come up ( 3 sowings!),l beetroots just about trying ( 2 sowings ) and only 3 out of 15 sweet corn have germinated!!!

It is a tough year.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 12:43:33 »
I planted out angelica and the slugs murdered it. It had nice big roots, so it should have come back, but didn't. They almost did the same to some Wesh onions I planted out, but two seem to have survived, and are re-growing.

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 17:20:05 »
breaks your heart as well as your back, I've had all the same problems as everyone else and I started later this year...even the fruit trees have little on them as they never got pollinated ...as we say  always next year

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 17:43:39 »
We had this debate about sowing spring onions for while ago..usually I module sow because they fail to germinate if sown on ground...well...week ago I just emptied couple of old spring onion packets and scattered them on soil with option that either they do or not..nothing lost.
And FIRST time ever!..with all the slugs and snails we have trouble with this year..with all the rain..with cool weather...that bit of soil looks like its growing GRASS :o..looks like every single seed has germinated.. ::) ::)

At least something goes well this year..... ::)... ;D

...thats why we bother..something will do well if others don't..mother nature  takes and she gives..

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 21:00:40 »
lovely two days of sun, at last but it is ending tonight so I had to get busy re damage limitation. Picked all the red strawberries and put shredded card under all berries. Finished digging up lady christie first earlies, got a cage plus  enviromesh up (same bed) and filled the 8 x 4 bed with leeks. Dug up the rest of the shallots as I don`t want to risk white rot and anyway they are freezing well and just strewn in the garage for now.

Looking on the bright side, celery is romping away. Parsnips are liking the wet. Brassicas are very healthy. Runner beans climbing and our massive crop of blackberries will swell

Just got to go with the flow!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 21:03:07 by strawberry1 »

marcitos

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 22:03:08 »
Come on, folks! Cheer up! It's not summer yet until midnight!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 04:44:03 »
We finally got to our plot today, no rain, lovely sunshine. Still muddy and mucky underfoot.

I sat there for a while while John was assembling a hoophouse,.

There were birds everywhere, an eagle floating on a breeze so close I could see his white head, large American robins as close as two feet away with no fear, and I felt good as I contemplated what I was going to do w tithe garlic scapes I had just harvested.

The rain is disgusting but like child birth  we quickly forget when we look closer at what is around us

Wishing you all well

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal