Author Topic: wild garlic  (Read 1526 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
wild garlic
« on: June 18, 2012, 22:06:06 »
Has anyone had any luck with wild garlic.  I got some of someone ob Sheffield forum last week and planted it. Stunk the car out! I hope it takes but it seems very hit ans miss.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: wild garlic
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 22:26:40 »
Im not sure how easy it is to grow from the bulb. I offered seeds on here a few years ago.....lots of people said they would like to try them so I posted loads of the seeds out.

To cut a long story short, they were not wild garlic or Ramsons. I dont actually know what they were, allI can say is that everyone was very polite and didnt complain and probably had a giggle at whatever Id sent them.

It might not do much this year and shoud be starting to die down soon anyway. You may get a nice surprise next spring  ;D

Good luck, let us know how it goes :)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:43:01 »
i will do!, hopefully the wet weather will help it settle in

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 11:36:29 »
We have masses of wild garlic doing what it does best........growing wild ;) Its at the back of the garden in a tree lined path and seems to love wooded areas to grow.  My dogs love to walk through it in the spring and then come in smelling of spaghetti bolognaise  :P
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:42:23 »

To cut a long story short, they were not wild garlic or Ramsons. I dont actually know what they were, allI can say is that everyone was very polite and didnt complain and probably had a giggle at whatever Id sent them.

I remember it well...but not to worry I'm sure when I'm picking my own avocados I'll thank you. ha ha ha  :P

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:12:56 »
In the woods around our plot (yes we have woods in London) the scent of wild garlic is very powerful.  In fact before Telegraph Hill was so named it was called Plough Garlic Hill..
It used to pop up all over our plots - normally in the paths but I dont see it as much as I used to..

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 00:09:24 »
I love wild garlic leaves on my salads and it is growing wild in my garden. Last year I took a number of clumps of the plants to the allotment and they have all taken well, it's a great plant and the smell is lovely. Lin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal