Author Topic: Allium Leaf Miner  (Read 2144 times)

bruno

• Not So New ...
Allium Leaf Miner
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:37:09 »
Went to plot yesterday in Derby area  to find garlic & shallots dying / stems turning to mush with only overwintered hardneck looking ok. Inside stems burrowing grubs. Is this the dreaded ALM and can anything be done? Is the other garlic also likely to be infected ?

Any advice gratefully received.

Bruno ???

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Allium Leaf Miner
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:07 »
So its finally reached you up there. When we went to the open day at debs and Saddads site there wasn't a sign of it. I was green with envy at the sight of all of there onions basking freely in the sun.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

bruno

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 20:54:03 »
shirlton,

If you get it in the west midlands what do you do to cope? Is it a case of all onions, garlic & leeks permenantly under environmesh?

Bruno

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 18:17:13 »
Yes thats right  All the alium family go under the enviromesh. Today I threw all of my overwintering  onions out because they had gone to seed. Me thinks its the weather
Next year I am going to try growing from seed. Someone on our site said to try it instead of buying sets. Will see what the result is.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 20:17:48 »
We have it too...  :'(
Whereabouts in Derby are you Bruno?
I've had my leeks under fleece all year and are now out in the ground under Debris netting boxes...  :-X

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 21:09:09 »
Being nice and wet I was going to slosh around tomorrow and set my leeks out. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I need to make another mega mesh tent in case we get the ALM here in N. Lincs, We aren't that far from Derbyshire. O joy :o. I've just lost my favourite garlic to rust although the overwintering and summer onions [from seed] look fine so far...so far...

bruno

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 08:29:41 »
Saddad

Mickleover Old Allotments - where are you? I think quite a few plots affected - apparently its come over from Wolverhampton way - have ordered some wondermesh and waiting for it to arrive before planting out leeks. Next year all under mesh on different part of lottie

Bruno

Palladium

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 23:04:55 »
I had the leaf miner in Derby (Littleover Lane) last year and lost a lot!  This year I have enviromeshed the leeks and they were OK, some excess I put outside the net were affected so they work.  I think we will have to net leeks for the foreseeable future for a decent crop.  I have not seen it on onions so far but I plant them in April so it is probably past the time for the fly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal