Author Topic: our first inspection  (Read 1996 times)

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
our first inspection
« on: June 21, 2012, 19:11:23 »
Well, our new person at the council is certainly taking her job seriously!  Yesterday my lottie partner was beavering away when she was inspected....as a newbie of two months, this was to see how much progress we'd made.  Some of the new plots haven't even seen a spade yet, so I guess they will have scored"red".  We were given "amber", which, considering the weather we've had, I'm quite pleased with.  Apparently, to get "green" we have to have one third cultivated.   Watch this space..........

digmore

• Half Acre
Re: our first inspection
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 23:03:15 »
Its nice to see a council taking pride in their allotments. So often allotments have been allowed to fall into disrepair either by council neglect or poor tenant husbandry.

Keep encouraging the officer, to many plots are being abused. Waiting lists are to long to have problems sat on a site getting worse by apathy.

Digmore.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 06:34:24 »
I agree with Digmore. I wish our local council was as proactive. At last after 3.5 years of living next to an overgrown plot, it has been taken over by new people. They have eventually made a start but it will take them quite a time to get the plot into shape. It might help as encouragement if they felt there was a Council inspection every so often with a goal for them to achieve. We do have a new site manager who seems to be keen for improvement so here's hoping he does the inspections on a regular basis. I think the grading red amber and green is a good indication of progress, or not

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:30:08 »
It must be nice when you have an inspection and the officer really takes an interest in how folks are getting on with their plots.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:38:29 »
Anybody on the waiting list in my area must be really p***ed off if they walk round and look at the state of some of the plots. Mine's far from perfect but at least it's clear I'vegot stuff growing. I think strimming or spraying the weeds every 6 months must count as "in cultivation" with our council! >:(

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:49 »
It's actually very encouraging to have a council official who is bothered about doing her job properly.  The allotments were ignored for years, and now, it seems, they are being upgraded and given a higher profile.  We even have had free deliveries of compost.  I emailed and thanked her as I think she must get sick of complaints .

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal