Author Topic: "Fried bread"  (Read 1761 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
"Fried bread"
« on: June 09, 2012, 18:55:05 »
Half term guests, and we ran out of bread. I am very fond of supermarket "Ciabatta Mix" in smallish packet, only add water. I did this a few days ago but what with half term outings and wholesale exhaustion after entertaining three 6 yr olds and younger sister, it never made it into the oven but stayed in fridge.

So I am reporting, possibly not for the first time, that little lumps of dough can be rolled into thin circles in flour and dry fried in a suitable flat pan. Great excitement at shaking the pan to loosen the breads, then flipping them over like pancakes, then watching breathlessly to see them puff up into pitta breads.

When slightly cooled, fill with hummus and salad, or butter and marmalade, or smoked salmon and asparagus (guests brought the salmon, asparagus is growing wildly with all this rain and warmish temperatures). Drew the line at porridge sandwiches.

Normally I make own wholemeal bread by hand, but this Ciabatta packet takes 3 minutes to mix, and rises energetically whether on table or in fridge, and keeps for ages. Very good stand by.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
Re: "Fried bread"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 19:39:47 »
What a great tip!!!!
I'm off to buy some tomorrow! x
Grow yer bugger grow!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 15:05:05 »
Is that the Lidl one? I find their bread mixes excellent, buit I usually mix them with ordinary flour and a little sourdough yeast - yesterday I made sunflower seed bread like that and I have to admit that it really did look like shop bought bread for once!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 15:52:18 »
I love making unleavened bread, home made tortillas are a regular meal in our house, with suitable fillings. I have tried both plain and s/r flour, with a small amount of wholemeal added to improve the taste, and leave it for an hour or more to bring the gluten out. I also have a large cast iron pan I use to cook them, no fat needed. Last week I made some aloo paratha - indian fried bread filled with spiced mashed potato, and served it with some green tomato curry I made and froze when faced with a glut of green tomatoes and advancing blight ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal