Author Topic: Forward Thinking  (Read 1691 times)

wellies2012

• Not So New ...
  • Paige's Patch
Forward Thinking
« on: June 10, 2012, 19:50:14 »
As a 1st season lotti gardener I would very much appreciate some advice as to which over wintering seeds and plants I should start getting ready also is a bit early in the year to prep for the winter?
TIA

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Forward Thinking
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 20:07:13 »
Definately not too early to prep for the winter many winter veg need quite some time to size up.

Suggestions - carrots, beetroot Kohl Rabi(for winter storage)
Still time for peas and french beans (green frozen or dried for winter)

Still time to sow kale and purple sprouting broccoli also see if you can get plants of winter cabbages/cauliflowers (car boot, freecycle, ebay etc)

Also leek plants - a good winter standby. Onions - sown- spring/bunching types.

Chard - the winter/spring stalwart.

Winter Radishes - black skinned or "daikon" (mooli) types

Mizuna, Spinach, Turnips (roots and tops)

Plenty of inspiration there I hope :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 20:10:17 by ed dibbles »

wellies2012

• Not So New ...
  • Paige's Patch
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 20:22:00 »
Certainly

thx Ed

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:35:38 »
I haven't yet planted out my winter brassicas but I have already sown them. You can still sow fast growing cauli, and winter cabbage and chard and kale. It's a bit late for Brussels I would say...?
Yes still time for carrots, beets, turnips and I am still successive sowing beans (not peas, gets too hot for those here).
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:13:13 »
If you want to grow over winter onions from seed - Japanese Senshyu for instance -  you have to start them in the second half of August.

I had a voucher for T&M's website with a short expiry date so I have already ordered my over winter garlic.  (Note to self: dont forget and buy more from garden centre).

Also: Must start looking for best source of Autumn planting Jermor shallots as they are tres expensive but much better than all the others.

If you can get a packet of Aquadulce Claudia broad beans from Wyevales 50p seed sale, you can sow in November to overwinter.

Good luck, over winter planting is a bit of a risk for some things but you would be kicking yourself for not doing it if it is a good year.

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 12:35:44 »
There is also chilli's that can be moved indoors and overwintered, also early peas such as onward I start these off to overwinter in the greenhouse.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 14:15:45 »
You can still sow brussels...but you need to pick very late cropping variety that is ready next spring..that's if you fancy eating brussels in march/april.. ::) My mind is usually already in other veg by then.. ;D

Yes..garlic..if you have spare bit of ground for it now..you can start preparing it for them. Sow some green manure..phacelia is good..let it grow 6-8" tall, chop it down and turn the greenery over and once it rots down it will make the soil much better...add thin layers of grass clippings and spent compost or half rotted garden compost and let the worms work it. If you add these mulches in thin layers but lot of it..you don't need to do any weeding neither and by october/november the soil is going to be fabulous and you only need to pop the garlic cloves in and let them grow.. ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal