Author Topic: Hello to everyone from 2 very frustrated newbies  (Read 29875 times)

Esplanade

• Not So New ...
    • Roy - English, Tanya - Russian, dacha in Russia and now - an allotment in England
the summer has arrived?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 12:16:11 »
the weeds certainly have. we had a look at 'our' lottie at the weekend and the weeds are shocking, look at the Horsetail. It breaks our heart to be honest.

'Our' lottie is #36 - we've asked the council for this one. No-one has touched it in 3 years and the last tenants have left.

We've added a page to our blog and sent out some letters to some lovely people who are supporting us.

We also joined twitter (@noLottie) and had lots of encouraging responses.
So if you're a tweeter, tweet us please (sounds like a wee birdie)

Here's what we're up against.. isn't it disgraceful that a Council could treat an allotment on the edge of a public park in this way.

It must seem difficult to believe that 2 grown adults are dreaming of such a plot ..
read about our exploits (and other allotment-related stuff) on our blog at http://pushingupdandelions.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Hello to everyone from 2 very frustrated newbies
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 19:48:31 »
Mine was as bad, except that it had a couple of tons of rubbish on it, which took me three months to clear, and nine trips with a small lorry to remove from the site. Fortunately the council took responsibility for the latter; I don't think they would now. Black plastic everything except a small bit to dig straight off, then start on another small bit. You'll get there.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 20:42:46 »

^^ Mine when I took it on.  I recommend buying a VERY LARGE pack of glyphosate and giving everything a good spraying.  Then start at the sunny end and dig and plant up the plot,  Worked for me!  However, I cannot sleep at night because when I lie down, my arms go numb.  You are mad, you know that don't you?

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 20:51:37 »
This was ours when we started: http://lottieplotfour.blogspot.co.uk/2008/03/new-beginning.html

Look at some of the recent posts for what it looks like now.

Lots of us have been there. You need to embrace the challenge and, with a positive, attitude you will turn it around.

Esplanade

• Not So New ...
    • Roy - English, Tanya - Russian, dacha in Russia and now - an allotment in England
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 21:10:09 »
oh yes, we know that, but...........

we haven't got it yet. It's just sitting there - growing weeds. The council won't do anything at all...

The last 3 letters to the council chap havent been answered. He wont meet us on site. We've written to NSALG, Garden News, posted on 5 forums for advice, started 2 blogs, created a Twitter account '@noLottie' to share our campaign, have written to about 30 other people for help, have made a donation to our 'Town-in-Bloom' organisation, are now writing to 12 councillors, about to contact the MP, write to the newspapers, placing some adverts for our blog around the town.. all to name and shame our council into action.

we're not afraid of the work at all. We would love it IF we could...  ;D

Please visit our blog and place a comment to support us  :(
read about our exploits (and other allotment-related stuff) on our blog at http://pushingupdandelions.co.uk

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 21:13:30 »
Mine had been empty for 5 years before I was offerred it!
Grow yer bugger grow!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 12:21:18 »
Just imagine the levels of satisfaction once those overgrown patches are tamed, cleared, dug, weeded, planted, tended and producing successfully.

Hard work but many of us think it's worth it.....eventually.  ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 12:54:37 »
Glyphosate won't kill that lot. I've seen people apply it many times. It's OK as part of a wider plan, but otherwise, all you do is kill the weaker weeds. The strong ones survive, and without the competition, they then come back stronger than before.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 13:32:43 »
Glyphosate won't kill that lot. I've seen people apply it many times. It's OK as part of a wider plan, but otherwise, all you do is kill the weaker weeds. The strong ones survive, and without the competition, they then come back stronger than before.

I agree with you.

I'd put a strimmer over the lot to keep the weed seeds from developing and to help me see!

Next I'd pick a good spot for a compost heap and another for a bonfire than I'd start skimming and digging a patch at a time.

It's slow, hard work but pays off in the end as you clear the annual weeds and dig out the others leaving a beautifully clear lottie.

Patience eh?  ;)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 13:46:21 »
Ours had had a large chicken hut on it that had been burnt down.   Years later we are still digging up nails, screws, hinges and bits of chicken wire.

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

chriselst

• Quarter Acre
    • AHAA
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 14:32:24 »
Isn't the best way to clear overgrown land to leave some pigs on it for a bit?

All of which is irrelevant until they get permission to do something with the place.

Or just say sod it, clear it, start to tend it, and then kick up an even bigger stink if the council ever try to throw them off it.

Which judging by the incompetence of this particular council would probably be in about 20 years time.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 16:09:04 »
Yes!  Go with Goodlife's suggestion-you can usually achieve more by being polite and friendly than by going in all guns firing!

thank you. Yes of course.. gently for the moment until...

31st July is the last entry date for the best kept allotment competition (which is not being run by the council). That seems to be a very sensible day to launch plan 'B' and to enter that competition with one of the overgrown plots and to call in the press..

we're just over the water from you, the water being the Tees  ;)
At least by the time you actually get somewhere and the plot is yours, the vegetation may be dying down and you can see what's there-it'll be a lot easier to deal with in the Auumn and Winter months.  I was very happy to be in the opposite situation from you.  I started off over 2 years ago at about no. 73 on the list.  When I got my letter a couple of months ago I was stunned to find I was 5th top, and now have a great plot, uncultivated for years, with lots of top soil missing after the council had scraped the sheds and everything away.  However, we're making slow progress on it, and are finding the soil that missed the tractor to be brilliant.  If the weeds are luxuriant the soil is usually good.  I really feel for you in your frustration, and hope you get your heart's desire very soon!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 21:13:48 »
So Esplanade how is the "get a plot" campaign going?

Is there anyone breathing behind those desks at your local council?
Are they all on holiday?
Do they know that you help pay their wages?
Are they aware that they are public servants? (like wot I was for years)

I'm sure you will have tired the ever so gentle, polite and smiling, careful / cautious enquiries... but if that hasn't worked and the direct questioning, letter writing for information and situation statement hasn't worked.....

You will have thought of telling them of your frustration over the situation and your intention to make a formal complaint to the person in charge....and / or write to the local press.

I think I'd get pssed *ff being polite and patient in the end. Jobs worths!!!!!  >:(

Esplanade

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 22:11:52 »
So Esplanade how is the "get a plot" campaign going?

I think I'd get pssed *ff being polite and patient in the end. Jobs worths!!!!!  >:(

well... out of the blue this morning.. I was called by the news editor of 'Garden News' as a result of them following us on Twitter (@NoLottie)

they want to fight our corner and contact the council themselves!! which we'll be very happy to accept - adds so much clout to our shout!!

Then, suddenly without prompting, one of our councillors is contacting me to (on twitter).
seems that he'd made a couple of phone calls himself already.. dunno, I'd not spoken with him..

then I've received an email from 'Mr New Broom' from the council who has been advised to offer us a vacant plot!!

Hah - the power of the Internet !!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

He didnt say which plot, so I tried to call him and eventually had to send an 'e' to ask him if we can have plot 36. which is the one that we want. He's replied saying he didnt know which number and will keep me waiting until the morning....  ???

might be resolved.. might be war! I quite fancy the war to be honest and could quite happily see me claiming 'squatters rights'

I'll definitely keep everyone posted  ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 22:27:37 »
Well done.  I am not sure you can dictate which allotment you are offered. 

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 22:28:38 »
Oh what a result !! Well done you.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 22:30:37 »
Why do you fancy a war when they are now offering you a plot  ???
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 02:04:58 »
Congratulations on becoming a new plot owner!!

Nice to know there's someone on the local council who has helped at last.  :)

If it were me I'd be grateful to have been offered a plot no matter what number it is. As my grandmother would have said: "Beggars can't be choosers" so, no matter which plot it is go for it - better than no plot at all!!

Once you have licked it into shape it will be truly yours. I believe being an allotmenteer is all about the gentle way of life, getting out what you put in (if you're lucky & nature is on your side).

Here's wishing you many hours/days/weeks/months/ seasons and years of satisfaction and enjoyment - brilliant crops too.  ;)

Esplanade

• Not So New ...
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 12:05:51 »
Well done.  I am not sure you can dictate which allotment you are offered. 

Hello again everyone. Thank you for all of the wonderful comments, support, some criticisms (a little) and they were accepted gratiously.  ;)  ;)  ;)

We were trying to break an age old system of allotment allocation which was in need of a serious overhaul. We would have been on a waiting list for another 3 years at least if we hadn't tried and so would a lot of other people.

We were persistant and I believe that this was the correct way.

At last, 16 plots on this allotment site have been recognised as vacant. The council have finally actively contacted residents who were on the list, many of these people have either left the area or are no longer interested and the list is now considerably less than it was a month ago.

It looks like 15 people are soon to be receiving letters from the council - that an allotment is available for them and this should bring the waiting list down into sensible single figures!

We've also been removed from the list and have been offered the plot that we asked for - Plot 36  ;D

Today - it's a victory for common sense.

We're both very pleased of course. Thanks to everyone for your support :-)

best wishes, Tanya and Roy

PS does anyone have a strimmer  :o

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 12:56:12 »
Well done not only a victory for you, but also seems you are helping others.  It is just so frustrating to see uncultivated plots and hear of people struggling to tame plot left vacant for years. 

Nice to hear you got the plot and the one you wanted. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal