Author Topic: i heard and seen somethings do they happen in most allotments??  (Read 9317 times)

tas

• Not So New ...
  • took this pic after nearly 2 weeks starting work
hi
as u might know i am newbee
and new to the allotment too 4 weeks :o
and where i have an allotment there are other owners who have been there for years and years!!

i was told by one of them that another member{owner} of an allotment takes things from other people's allotment?

and then today when that member came he picked some veg  from his allotment then went to another members patch and took some veg from there's.

yet he told me also that others do this and he does not???

does this happen alot

that is why i have put chicken wire around mine i will be well offended if someone came and pinched my hardwork!!!  ::)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre

I should contact the allotment superintendant and let him know what you have seen and heard.   Don't take it upon yourself to 'sort it out'.

Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

betula

• Hectare
take his picture next time he does it and print it off and stick it on the notice board.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Sadly I think you will always have people who take what isn't theirs,whether an allotment,shops etc.
I'd keep your eyes and ears open ,find out who's who etc.
We have the odd help yerself merchant but most folk are completely honest.
I'd rather trust everyone than not  :)
personally I'd do a lot of watching before I complained,just that many folk have been around for years and I'd not want to put my foot in it.
All that said if he is helping his self without permission then that's stealing !
sanity is overated

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
My friends at the allotment, say pick stuff if they are on holiday, or have plenty, but still feel guilty.  It is better that the people give you surplus produce when they are there, and one can say thank you.  Last year when I had too many apples I left them in a box on the edge of my allotment and told people to help themselves.  Haven't had too much trouble with people taking stuff, hope my peas are OK, but would not like to have them picked, but sometimes with an uncultivated allotment the produce does go to waste or get eaten by birds.  Better check on my lovely strawberries.

tas

• Not So New ...
  • took this pic after nearly 2 weeks starting work
hi
i am happy to hear from u all!!
we dont have a notice notice board.
and the council man does not even come round to check!!not seen him since he gave me the key
our allotments are small by the sound of things alot of u have very big allotments?

Hazelb

• Half Acre
on my lottie, people will often offer me surplus stuff. They say, 'help your self to cabbages when you wan't one, i've got loads' . So it may look a little odd when I wander onto someone's plot and take a cabbage.

I myself have an open offer to a couple of neighbours to help themselves to my raspberries as I have loads. ( usually ).

So what may look like 'nicking stuff' may not be.

That said...I've heard of people just taking stuff on other allotment sites.  :-\

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I went on a neighbouring allotment to remove a slug the other day. Also a neighbour offered me some runner beans while they were on holiday.  And I watered another and took some courgettes which would have been huge when they got back.   If they are a friend they usually remove a few weeds as well.

But we also have some pilfering going on.  Most people do not go to more than two allotments.   In the end you get to know who is friends with who.

The crops from abandoned lotties get taken, someone had a great row of asparagus amongst the weeds and it disappeared. 

Kea

• Hectare
I'm at the front of my site. This year I've been considering just digging up my asparagus and throwing it away it's a lot of work and this year I've had two bunches. I've counted stems coming up and gone to pick it but someone beats me to it.
Someone took the 6 largest kaboucha squash and all my globe artichokes last year. Someone other than the person who has permission helps themselves to my Rhubarb.

Interestingly someone mentioned to me a few weeks ago that they knew I didn't like globe artichokes ???....because i always left a lot to flower (I leave the cardoons next to them to flower obviously this person can't tell the difference).
I've got a plot that was a new plot so why would I bother growing them if I didn't like them...that sort of suggests it was that person that took them but she didn't own up just looked surprised when i said i did like globe artichokes but didn't get any last year as they were stolen.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
To be honest tat, if your new on site I'd keep your head down until you get to know who's who on site, we have certain peeps on site who don't get on and like pointing the finger at each other, I go on three or four plots and help myself, an agreement between ourselfs and sometimes you do get a funny look from some peeps who don't know you have permission, so I tend to do it when I know the peeps well, are on site. I also go on to water and as said kill a slug or pull a dandylion.  ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Totally agree with cornykev - I am on a few other plots all the time by mutual consent - my nieghbour spends a lot of time in France so I look after his and help myself to the odd lettuce or bramley.  Keep your head down, concentrate on your growing and get to know your fellow allotmenteers and the lay of the land..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
We have people who pick each others crops but luckily it is with mutual consent.  So check this is not so. 
I agree with keeping your head down until you know whose who.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
My neighbour frequently goes home to Italy- he went on thursday for three weeks and asked me to pick his courgettes and salads.  If not they will be too big or go to seed!  When he's back - he can help himself to mine !
We often do this, the guy the other side does the same!
Grow yer bugger grow!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Yes, there are some people who don't get on on allotment sites! So beware of gossip!
We have had thefts recently and even some of my garlic was stolen... People have reported missing fruit, and salads...

But there are also people who say Help yourselves - with my neighbour, we do this, for example, until I got my own, I used to borrow her grass scissors, even if she wasn't there. But people know we are friendly so a remark was never made. In return she has been on my plot to get some lettuce seedlings etc. And I have occasionally gone onto someone else's plot if for example something has blown down, or been knocked over. I would never take something unless that person had specifically told me to.

Maybe just get to know things before acting? We have signs up that say that if people take things without permission they will be evicted from the site...
Your site is council run? But surely there must be rules, or a contract that you signed? Is there a regular meeting?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

luckycharlie

• Acre

I take my neighbours gooseberry's turn them into jam and let him have some. He loves jam hates gooseberries! but if someone saw me might think I was pinching them especially as he doesn't get on with too many people on our site.
 I would be very carefull what I say if I was you get yourself settled in then see what happens.

X Chas

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Oh Chas I find that hard to believe that someone on you site not getting on with people ;D ;D ;D. Daughters neighbour still won't speak to her, I can't think why can you ;) ;D.

Hope all's well with you :-*.

luckycharlie

• Acre

mmmm that's strange!! He doesn't talk to me either  ;D ;D

XLC2

goodlife

• Hectare
Now then you two...you know who I mean..what is this kissing 'business' about..? ;)
Does Mr GJ know what is going on? ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
No it could be bad for his health :o ;D ATM.

digmore

• Half Acre
Tas,

Make it known that you will not be amused by the theft of your crops and also fence off your plot and gate it.

Digmore

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal