Author Topic: Taunton Deane Cottagers Kale cuttings  (Read 13516 times)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Taunton Deane Cottagers Kale cuttings
« on: June 05, 2012, 00:26:56 »
My plant is now a year old and stands about 5 ft high - this thing simply chucks out huge quantities of loose cabbagey leaves that are like mild spring greens (a bit more like the small leaves you get with purple sprouting in flavour) - it doesn't really go to seed and legend has it that it just keeps going for 7 years or so getting bigger like a tree. 

If you strip the branches down to only the tiny new growing leaves at the end and just bury the stalk deeply and water if there's no rain then it grows in to a new tree - that's how I got my plant anyway.  I love it ... my only concern is how to keep it netted from the pigeons when it gets taller than me.

Anyway, it had several large side branches of this blow off in the gales and rain yesterday - about 2ft long.  I'd love to swap for anything interesting and out of the ordinary but nice to eat.  If anyone's got liquorice then that would be amazing, but other things would be fine ... or if you're just very interested in this heritage kale then I'll just send it out - there's only 2 or 3 branches of it though.

Cheers

Squeezy

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Taunton Deane Cottagers Kale cuttings
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 12:24:43 »
Goodlife kindly shared some with me earlier in the year, but nice to see these being offered. Good luck with the Liquorice, I'm sorry I don't have any.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 13:35:38 »
I would love to try some kale, please.

I have just planted out some sturdy oca   http://www.realseeds.co.uk/unusualtubers.html 

I don't expect them to come to much this year as I got them from T&M as tiny little tubers which I am hoping to build up over the summer. Would you be interested in 2 or 3 packed as well as I can manage to stay alive in the post? They are leafy and healthy looking at the moment.

If you already have these, I have some peabean and gigandes seed saved from last year. I have to admit I am very disappointed in the germination rate this time (used to be excellent) but if I sent you enough some would be bound to grow.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 17:08:23 »
I'd like to try some as the one plant I had failed to make it through the winter. I should have some cuttings of variegated Daubenton's a bit later in the year if you're interested.

norton

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 19:26:08 »
Would like some cuttings if possible.
I have  Daubetons kale, perenial spring onions, three different types of tree onion, american groundnut, japanesse yam,mashua, oca, ulloco, various daylillies, sea orach,  to offer in return.
Please message me if intrested.w

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 21:05:02 »
I'm really sorry to everyone who I said I would send cuttings over a week ago - life has got in the way, but fear not - I plonked all the bits blown off by the gales in the ground and they are still absolutely fine.  I will try and get around to sending out to the addresses I have this weekend.

Norton - did you PM me an address?  I can't find it.

Cheers

Squeezy

Sherwood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 10:36:38 »
Never heard of Taunton Deane kale - despite being brought up in Taunton Deane, as were my parents, their parents, their (family never has been very good at map reading). I would really like a cutting - but have nothing to swap at present and am an economic migrant in the frozen north.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:18:01 »
I might be able to help you..but not now. It is bit too late in the season to root any cuttings now.
But hang on here and get back to me in late winter/early spring.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 17:50:31 »
I just had a look, and my variegated Daubenton's cuttings are starting to show signs of growth. I should have a few going before long, once they've grown a bit more convincingly.

landgirl2013

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:06:23 »
Hi, late comer to this! I would be really grateful for some cuttings of this plant. It would make a wonderful addition to my small good life self-sufficiency holding, especially for feeding us and our 2 milking goats. Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 17:00:28 »
I had an email recently from Thomas Etty, looking for cuttings.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 19:47:23 »
I only noticed your mentioning Thomas Etty...

Have you already supplied for them some cuttings? What did they say?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 19:18:46 »
I don't have any to offer, unfortunately.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal