Author Topic: Best Book?  (Read 4353 times)

spartz

Best Book?
« on: February 24, 2005, 12:33:27 »

Hi all,

I'm hoping the experienced veggie growers out there can recommend a book for a complete novice.  I'm about to move into a house with a garden (first time in my married life!) and would love to grow my own veggies.  But where do I start?  There is a huge choice on Amazon, so I thought I would ask here for peoples favourites.
All answers appreciated!  Meanwhile, I think I'll explore this marvellous site some more...

Spartz (in Germany).

Sarah-b

• Acre
Re: Best Book?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 12:42:19 »
I like Joy Larkom's veg book - thick paperback - lots of info. (think it's called Grow your own veg). That one is good for proper information. She has several other books - one of which is very inspirational - Creative Vegetable Gardening.
Magazines can give you plently of info and this forum is really excellent - use the search facility to pick up lots of useful info about any topic you cna think of.

Sarah.

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 12:44:46 »
if you search the site this question comes up a lot!  click the search button at the top :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 13:29:04 »
The RHS have what I'd call a good coverage applicable to new gardeners. Their 'Growing vegetables' (ISBN 1 84000152 6 )is just one of a library of books on gardening which include Garden Planning, pruning, propogation, growing fruit and growing under glass.
Prices are about £9 a book and certainly go into enough detail to put you on the right track.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 13:41:27 »
Agree with sara joy larkim -
grow your own veg as well as been very informative its a dead handy size

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 14:07:31 »
I have a wealth of books on veggie gardening - a nice big tome is the complete book of veg, herbs and fruit (not sure if that is in the right order) by Bob Flowerdew, Matthew Biggs and Jekka McVikar. Bob has other books - the organic bible, and the no work garden. The Veg Expert (Dr Hessayon) is also worth getting your hands on. I bought an organic gardening book in German 15 years ago when I was on a school exchange in Viersen - it had lots of tables in!
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 14:11:58 »
the vegetable expert by dr hessayon sp? is the one I use the most

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2005, 19:27:51 »
I too am a Newbie, for what it's worth I have the Joy Larkcom book "Grow your own Veg" and find it very informative etc same as Sarah-b. I also have a book called "Organic Gardening" by Christine & Michael Lavelle as recommended by someone on here. It should have been £16.99 and WH Smith are selling them at £4.99. It is full of photos and is a bit more glossy but does cover all aspects of general organic gardening & has a useful bit on soft fruit etc.

Hope that helps,
TimJ

BAZ

• Not So New ...
  • Got to get the veggies in!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 22:53:14 »
The HDRA have a good organic version. Its called Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: the complete guide to natural & chemical-free gardening. Try local libraries before purchasing, and narrow down your choice.

Good gardening Baz.8)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 22:57:49 by BAZ »
BAZ

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2005, 23:07:37 »
 :)  Hi Baz..   I've got that book and I like it very much.  There's loads in it for beginners and experienced gardeners alike.  It's a good book for dipping back into  when you need to refresh your memory about something
I came, I saw, I composted

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 23:11:13 »
i too have joy larkcom's book.
it does however not cover herbs, or soft fruit. (well it's not called 'grow your veg' for nothing :D)
need to find something equally brilliant for those two areas.

svea
PS: spartz, are you just living over there or are you actually german? unfortunately, cannot help with german books on this matter.....
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

thistle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 10:52:57 »
Another vote here for Joy Larkcom's book.  Reckon I have a shelf-load of veg & fuit books and hers is the most comprehensive and the one I refer to most (though she doesn't cover fruit in it).  The other one I use a lot is The Vegetable Expert by Dr Hessayon.  There are a series of these books and the fruit one is great too.

The monthly magazine Kitchen Gardens is good publication with a useful 'what to do this month' section.   I also find it very useful for keeping up-to-date on new developments (varieties, products, methods).  They cover veg, fruit, herbs, under glass, keeping chickens and even the odd article on bee-keeping !

Multiveg

• Hectare
    • Forum
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 11:01:07 »
I also get Organic Gardening Magazine - I have their subscription, plus it is possible to get some past issues (which I have got a number of). They don't have a website at present, and not a large q&a as in Kitchen Garden Mag.

I like the Lavelle's book as well. Another one is kitchen garden month by month (will check exact title later otherwise my warm cuppa tea will be stolen by my 3 year old) by Andi Clevely (again, will check name). I managed to buy the complete bit-part series Grow your own which gives a week-by-week doofy of what you could do, and info on fruit, herbs and veg, etc, from a charity shop.
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 20:56:26 »
Spatz :)

Wishing you a Warm Welcome Here ...great people great site Enjoy it here :D        My Recommendation ???

[ Vegetable and Herb Expert  Dr D G Hessayon ] ;D
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Multiveg

• Hectare
    • Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 12:13:06 »
My tea still got stolen! Anyway. The Kitchen Garden month by month by Andi Clevely gives not only month by month advice, includes garden projects & ideas as well as a brief synopsis on the veg.

The Grow Your Own bit part magazine included Ralph Whitlock's gardening diary. I have the second edition published in 1979 (first was in 1977)

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 18:26:32 »
Another vote for Joy Larkom; no glossy pictures but VERY comprehensive! "Grow Your Own Vegetables"

No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 21:11:09 »
Can recommend  "Practical Allotment Gardening"by Caroline Foley.

ISBN 1859748902

Try www.play.com   Much cheaper than Amazon and free postage
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2005, 10:41:03 »
Have borrowed 'Organic gardening for the 21st century' by John Fedor from the library. Only about a third of the way through it so far, but it seems to be pretty good on the general organic stuff. Will let you know on specifics for different veg once I've read that  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 22:25:01 »
The Organic Garden Book

Geoff Hamilton

Dorling Kindersley

Good gardening!

John

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2005, 15:55:34 »
Have read 'Organic gardening for the 21st century' and have now borrowed the HDRA tome (hurrah for library requests online! :)). Found the former quite good, but perhaps I should compare with the HDRA one. 'Organic gardening' did seem to be quite veg focused, which I found good as that's mostly what I'm growing.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal