Author Topic: westie puppy  (Read 8928 times)

kymrob

• Half Acre
westie puppy
« on: May 29, 2012, 13:33:49 »
hiya.
thinking of getting a westie have been for a while, can anyone give me advice
not sure to go for girl or boy,
what pet insurance?
how much to get puppy neutered?
anything really it will be first puppy

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: westie puppy
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 14:36:11 »
I have never had a Westie but I do have two Border Terriers and from reading about the Westie on their club website they share a lot of similarities.  I have a male and a female Border and they are totally different in character to each other.  Vera is independent, strong-willed, and not particularly affectionate.  Graham is the opposite.   I don't know if it's a terrier thing that boys are easier than girls, it might be.

I have insurance with Petplan, but I have to pay excess and a percentage of the vet bill.  Check carefully before you take insurance out.

I'm not sure how much neutering costs these days, Vera was 'done' 14 years ago and Graham hasn't been  :) You could always phone a local vet and ask about prices.  (females are more expensive than males)

Consider taking your puppy to puppy-training classes.  I found a very good one for Graham, run by the Association of Pet Dog Trainers http://www.apdt.co.uk/

This is from the West Highland White Terrier club of England website -

The Westie is foremost a terrier, bred to chase and hunt, to work underground out of sight and hearing of its owner, and therefore, dependent on its own brain and ingenuity . This produces a dog with an independent spirit, and inquisitive nature and an active body .
Some people think that terriers are yappy and snappy. This is not true of a well-brought up Westie. Although they can be very determined, they do like to please their owners, and so much depends on early training forming a good relationship with your dog.

The owner must be prepared to take on the role of “boss” and as soon as a Westie realises who is ‘top of the pack’ , he will happily do as told-though not the speed and docility of a gundog !

Westie do get on well with children, but I would always be wary of selling a puppy to a family with very small children- unless the parents are experienced dog owners. Puppies and small children are both very demanding and it is difficult to give both the attention they require. A Westie puppy, aged 8 to 10 weeks , ready to go to his new home, is very small and vulnerable and could easily be hurt if mishandled- or worse still- dropped. So think carefully before choosing a Westie Puppy if you have small children to care for.

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Physically , Westies are active and need plenty of exercise. As small dogs, with comparatively short legs,they need the opportunity to run and play. Their intelligent minds mean that they cannot be left alone for long periods of time.
Indeed no dog should be left on its own for hours.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 18:31:35 »
thats great squash64, im doing loads research, daughter has wanted one since she was 5 years old she now going to b 21 soon so we are not rushing in to it lol ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 19:51:19 »
My westie is Queen of the house...........we love her but she is so naughty.

Not a breed for children.

Fayzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 20:04:57 »
We had a wee pregnant dog westie (Isla) for 9 years - she sadly passed away last year from bladder cancer.

She was the most loving and caring dog we have ever had and my daughter who if 19 months now was a great source of entertainment for the dog, Isla used to lie beside her when I was dressing her down on the floor, even although Isla was in great pain she never snapped or was aggressive towards our other dogs.

She loved nothing more than cuddling up on the couch and sleeping beside you when you were watching TV, but then if there was snow she was out bounding about like an overexcited puppy.

We miss her every day but my Auntie has 2 westies who are very similar in temperament (all different litters/mothers/fathers) and we use them as surrogates as I don't think I could go through the heartache of losing another one. 

I still have a jack Russell crossbreed who was Isla's best friend and after being brought up by such a calming influence she is as lazy as Isla ever was!!

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 16:24:17 »
thanks for replies ;D
we are now in prosess of looking for one blimey didnt think we would have
so much trouble, look like we gonna have to travel hundred miles or more :(
but sure it will b worth it! :D
but still looking

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 16:56:05 »

Have you considered re-homing a Westie?  There are many dogs needing a new home through no fault of their own, there might be one that is perfect for you.

http://www.westierescuescheme.org.uk/index.php
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

JENIAN

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 17:06:29 »
My westie is Queen of the house...........we love her but she is so naughty.

Not a breed for children.

Then her naughtiness is being aloud by your goodselves. If you cannot train her yourself then go to dog training. To say "not a breed for children" is NOT true and is a broad statement to make about ALL Westies.

Westie owner   :(

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 17:47:27 »
Beg your pardon your westieness :P

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 18:34:47 »
Not Westies but both our dogs are rescues and are wonderfully loving and affectionate and fun and grateful for a good home.  Both go to training sessions as much for us as for them.   

The original is a 5yr old 20 kilo Tibetan terrier type terrier cross who looks like a Rastafarian if we don't keep her hair cut.   She's been with us 4 years now and is just brilliant.  The new one is a daffy 30 kilo Labrador who's nearly 2 but behaves like he's 3 months old.  Never been house trained, never been out for walkies, no training at all until we got him a month ago and he's adorable too and they love each other to bits too.
Obxx - Vendée France

Anne16

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 21:57:43 »
Hi there

There are so many dogs requiring homes, perhaps a rescue one should be considered first.  We have a yellow lab crossed with a great Dane.  Lovely, lovely dog, called Scooby Do - we have had him a year and he was three on 1st June.  Like an earlier comment, but behaves like a toddler.  We have taught him lots of things - keeps his mind occupied.  He and I did do agility, but because he is super allergic to grass pollen, we had to give it up.  However, he is so easy to train and willing to learn, we have no problems apart from his excitement when he meets someone new.
Try the Westie Rescue centre.

Anne

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 22:19:24 »
Pet insurance

If your gonna get it, go PET PLAN

We have both ours insured and both had ops this year. Pet plan were FAB with one.
The other was insured with a diff company and out of the £340 I laid out I got £110 back, I had to pay the 1st 25% of the vet fees and then the 1st £110.. I forget the exact amount.
It wasn't always like that, as he's got older they whacked it on and on..
Pet plan have always been great with both claims I have made. Both policies have been running for 7 years.
Thing is, if you start with a diff company and then change to another the new company wont cover anything you have had previously on vet records, so get it right the first time round.. they are brilliant.

Hope it helps, and I too am all for a rescue dog, I have 2 myself. If you need any help in locating one I will help you x

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 11:53:28 »
we now are proud owers of little westie girl called betti must say she is very good! c profile pic!  ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 12:00:10 »
oh seh is lovely!!! is she re-homed? she does not look like a puppy?

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 12:21:50 »
she is 11 weeks, not rehomed must say she is part of family already and given us many a laugh

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 12:25:43 »
I'm not envious, not one bit ;)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 13:29:06 »
She looks beautiful  - any more photos?

Love the name, much better for a dog than a human.  ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 13:45:11 »
lots of photos but do struggle getting on here, my daughter picked name as it is her dog! but cant help keep saying ohhh betti like frank spencer did lol

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal