Author Topic: My plants got toasted this week.  (Read 2114 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
My plants got toasted this week.
« on: May 25, 2012, 22:35:35 »
Well, I went to the Yorkshire Dales for a couple of days and left a friend to look after the greenhouse as its been so hot. She did a good job and all was well, except for the other greenhouse on a friends plot where I had put a few plants as I ran out of space. All my plants from potato seed are toasted brown as well as most of my cabbages which would have been fine if I'd just put them outside. Lots of young squash and cucumbers were lightly crisped, but look like they will recover. The sweetcorn seemed to like it though as did the okra and sweet potato. I just can't work out why I forgot about the second greenhouse. Maybe the sun got to me as well?

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: My plants got toasted this week.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 13:09:15 »
 :(

I have just watered a neighbour's GH as everything in there was looking frazzled.  With any luck, most of his plants will be OK but things were in TINY modules.

Lots I could say but here are 2 words:  Gravel trays !!!!  DUH !!!!!! 

But in this weather, go away for a few days and your GH plants could be toast.  Literally.  All that work, so sad.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: My plants got toasted this week.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 16:15:17 »
 Everything in mine has just survived, but gravel trays half-full of sharp sand and fulled to the top with water before I went away were the order of the day and some of my toms were a bit wilty when I got back./..... but now I'm not away again for more than an overnight until mid august so everythign will be in the ground soon with autowatering....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal